Starter necessary for kviek yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Thinking of doing a quick turnaround like 7 day neipa and using a kviek yeast, my lhbs has both llalmand dry and omega Voss, I’m not dedicated to one over the other never having used either. Do I need to either rehydrate the dry or make a starter for the liquid yeast?? My plan is to brew Sunday it’ll be in the mid 80’s then cool to mid 90’s pitch and just leave it in my garage where we’ll have a heatwave moving in for about 4 days of mid to high 80’s with lows around 70 but I can wrap a couple blankets around it to keep it warm. Sound good??

The amount they give you a starter wont be necessary. In the future, a 150ml starter and about a 1/4 tsp of kveik started teh day of brew day will be sufficient to ferment a 5 gallon batch

The amount they give you a starter wont be necessary. In the future, a 150ml starter and about a 1/4 tsp of kveik started teh day of brew day will be sufficient to ferment a 5 gallon batch

I’m not brewing this till Sunday or Tuesday so I have time if it’s necessary. Shooting for a 7.5% neipa

the packs sold at homebrew shops have so much yeast in them a starter isnt necessary

does that go for both brands or just the omega?? Think after reading some google stuff I’m gonna go with the voss. I like the description of the esters and that it tends to hang around the haze more.

The only Lallemand Kveik I'm aware of is the Voss strain. I used half a packet of it in a 10L batch of pale ale and it was more than enough. Just make sure to use some yeast nutrient if your OG is under 1.060.

does that go for both brands or just the omega?? Think after reading some google stuff I’m gonna go with the voss. I like the description of the esters and that it tends to hang around the haze more.
both. Kveik can be pitched aty substantially lower rates than other yeasts, especially if you have a small, active starter.

Back