Starter is the way of the future

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tried to make 2 batches from 1 vial of yeast! Think it would keep a week in fridge in same sterilized growler?HMMM

homebrewer_99 said:
True, but the yeast from the primary has too much junk in it that I believe would affect the flavor and vitality of the yeast.

Remember, one reason you rack to the secondary is to get the brew off of the yeast to prevent off-flavors.

I reuse yeast all the time and don't have a problem with off-flavors. I remove the left-over yeast and put it in a gallon glass jar with a lid on it and let it sit in the fridge until I'm ready to use it, usually within 2 weeks or so. When I get ready to use it I take it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temp and then just dump the whole thing in the fermenter. I brew 10 gal's at a time always in a 14 gal Tuff Tank fermenter and a 12.2 gal SS conical, works great. I make a point of brewing the same, or close to, the same style with the yeast I re-use.

Back