Starter is not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytor2012

Reaction score
My yeast starter has shown no signs of fermentation. I took a gravity reading just now and it is still at 1.035. It's been 36 hours on a stir plate. It's a Wyeast smack pack of British Ale II and it is exactly 6 months old in 5 days. What would you do...
A) not worry and just pitch it anyway
B) add some dry yeast to the starter
C) add some yeast nutrient to the starter
D) add some yeast nutrient to the finished beer
E) throw away the starter and pitch dry yeast

I'm gonna go ahead and start brewing so I'll look forward to reading your responses within the next 8 hours. Thanks and cheers.:tank:

Pitch the yeast nutrient to your starter and wait for it to show signs of fermentation - foaming head. Brew as normal, just keep your lid on the wort until your starter is ready.

Note, you could soak a towel in starsan and lay it over the pot lid.

If it was me, I would go with E). Sounds like the safest bet.

I had a problem last brew with dead yeast. I didn't make a starter and my beer started growing mold. Wyeast Thames Valley and same date as this one. I don't think I'm gonna buy yeast from morebeer any more. The $0.30 difference isn't worth it. I never had any problems with Northern Brewer!

Hello Stevo;
I experienced the same issue with a brew, and now fermentation that is not very active. Similar conditions, a 6 month old Wyeast ( London ESW ) for a Malty Brown Ale. My question is if I pitch a dry yeast does the yeast have to be Ale yeast or could I use a baking yeast? Thx

It's a Wyeast smack pack of British Ale II and it is exactly 6 months old in 5 days.

E) throw away the starter and pitch dry yeast

I'm gonna go ahead and start brewing so I'll look forward to reading your responses within the next 8 hours. Thanks and cheers.:tank:

I have had problems with old Wyeast smack packs as they approach their 6-month birthday. The starter of a 5.5 month old pack of lager yeast took forever to start up, and the beer still didn't come out right (could have been due to underpitching because the starter was slow, though).

This is the exact reason I keep a couple packs of S-04 and/or US-05 around. Cheap, versatile, strong fermenters, and excellent shelf life - the perfect "in case of crappy starter, break glass" yeast.

Hello Stevo;
I experienced the same issue with a brew, and now fermentation that is not very active. Similar conditions, a 6 month old Wyeast ( London ESW ) for a Malty Brown Ale. My question is if I pitch a dry yeast does the yeast have to be Ale yeast or could I use a baking yeast? Thx

Have to be? No. Very strongly recommended? Yes.

Scotty_g said:
Have to be? No. Very strongly recommended? Yes.

Scotty- g Thanks; how long can this carboy fermentation last before I need to add the new yeast?
So you strongly recommend using a duplicate Wyeast and is their a dictionary of terms for brewing beginners?o

There is no need to panic to get more yeast, but in general the sooner you add fresh yeast, the better.

If the airlock has started to bubble, you are probably going to be ok. The remaining yeast will multiply and eventually complete fermentation. If the airlock has not started bubbling within 48 hours or so, add more yeast.

The new yeast will probably have more effect on the beer than the first batch of yeast, so choose whatever yeast you want.

--

I don't know of a general dictionary of brewing terms, but haven't looked. If you want good information, find a copy of Palmer's _How to Brew_ (first edition at http://www.howtobrew.com/ ).

Ccdeff said:
Hello Stevo; I experienced the same issue with a brew, and now fermentation that is not very active. Similar conditions, a 6 month old Wyeast ( London ESW ) for a Malty Brown Ale. My question is if I pitch a dry yeast does the yeast have to be Ale yeast or could I use a baking yeast? Thx

Definitely ale yeast of some sort, US05 or S04 are pretty safe bets. Baking yeast will ferment, I believe, but your end result will be terrible beer.

Just to add, I've started a bunch of 6+ month old yeast. My secret is that I give it time on the stir plate - like 5 days worth of time. I've never had a problem with getting a batch to take hold.

Like I mentioned earlier, throw the lid on your wort and wait until the starter is ready. I understand that many of the folks on the forum will decry the chance for infection, but in my limited experience ( 75+ batches) this has never occurred.

To be clear I've had beer in a no chill mode for 24-36 hours without suffering an infection. If your going beyond that time frame your luck may vary.

Let us know what you decided and your results!

I'm betting the starter would have turned out find given enough time. The issue is that 36 hours isn't enough time for 6-month old yeast. It's going to take some time to the yeast to replicate.

Next time, if you know the yeast is that old I would suggest planning further ahead and letting the starter ferment out (instead of trying to pitch at high krasuen). Then, step up the starter and pitch the second one at high krausen - which you likely would have needed to do given the age of the yeast and the need to grow cells.

I'm betting the starter would have turned out find given enough time. The issue is that 36 hours isn't enough time for 6-month old yeast. It's going to take some time to the yeast to replicate.

Next time, if you know the yeast is that old I would suggest planning further ahead and letting the starter ferment out (instead of trying to pitch at high krasuen). Then, step up the starter and pitch the second one at high krausen - which you likely would have needed to do given the age of the yeast and the need to grow cells.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll keep that in mind next time. Thanks!

Back