Starter from Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
Always used Whitelabs and when I moved my new HBS only carries Wyeast. Question I have is do I have to activate the smack pack in order to make a starter or does it matter? I need to do a better job of relaxing and not worrying.

The smack pack has nutrients that will help the starter. Smack it and then you can immediately pitch it into the starter or you can wait.

I use Wyeast all the time and have always smacked the pack. Anything I can do to give my yeast buddies the best is worth it. Plus, it's fun to smack the pack, I think.

Just remember with Wyeast to sanitize the bag and scissors you use as a precautionary step.

Yeah it's just nutrient in the smack pack. Not absolutely necessary to wait for it to swell up after smacking, but it is recommended. If you have some separate yeast nutrient, you can always just add a pinch of that to your starter wort as well. I've had plenty of success with starters that I didn't wait to completely swell before pitching

You can smack it and go. I've had trouble at times getting the inner pack to break, and ended up breaking it and pitching all at once. I think the instructions are to break the inner bag wait a couple of hours before pitching (the outer bag will inflate a little). But doesn't matter. Only make a starter if the yeast is really old, or you are pitching into more than 5 gallons or more than 1.060 gravity

+~1 to Revco's sanitizer for bag and scissors.

I make a starter for every beer. That way I ensure the yeast is healthiest even if it's been mistreated.

This is true and good advice. What I should have said is that if you are working with really old yeast, or going more than 5 gallons or more than 1.060 gravity in 5 gallons you should make a starter.

With 5 gallons and under 1.060 gravity, the starters are generally not needed, but still often recommended. It becomes a balance (as everything in life) of "does my beer improve with the starter enough that it is worth my time" and that varies with each person.

Latest posts

Back