Starter and Stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
1. I used the yeast from the dregs of a 6 pack of Bells amber and currently have it on my stir plate. I have stepped it up once and it has been going since Monday. Since I grabbed the yeast from the bottles, do I need to do any sort of yeast washing prior to using this yeast or can I just decant/swirl up/pour in?

2. The magnet from the stir plate is going to drive us insanse with the noise. I wish I could keep it out in the shed but I am guessing that with 90 degree weather outside that wouldn't be the best option. Where do you keep your stirplate (assuming you don't have a brewing basement)?

If you have propagated the proper cell counts you should be good by decanting and pitching.

I keep my stirplate on the kitchen counter. It does make some noise but not enough to drive me insane. I think room temperature is good, the yeast like the warmer temperature. Since you are not actually making beer you are not really worried about creating off flavors, especially if you are decanting.

Well my wife is involved here with her spidey hearing...therefore I need to find a new home for this stirplate. The kitchen is definitely a nono

Mrmalty yeast calculator came up with 1.17 liters of starter required. Does this mean I need to keep adding wort additions until I am at 1,170 mL in the flask?

1. I used the yeast from the dregs of a 6 pack of Bells amber and currently have it on my stir plate. I have stepped it up once and it has been going since Monday. Since I grabbed the yeast from the bottles, do I need to do any sort of yeast washing prior to using this yeast or can I just decant/swirl up/pour in?

2. The magnet from the stir plate is going to drive us insanse with the noise. I wish I could keep it out in the shed but I am guessing that with 90 degree weather outside that wouldn't be the best option. Where do you keep your stirplate (assuming you don't have a brewing basement)?

What kind of magnet do you have? The first magnet I bought was so loud I had to go out and buy another one, after testing several in the shop I found one which isn't that loud.

Whatever magnet came from stirstarter.com when i bought this stirplate several years ago

Once you get your starter spinning try slowing it down. You only need to keep it moving so it does not settle to the bottom so a small vortex is good. That said, mine is Very quite even at full speed on my home made stirplate and 1 inch bar in a 2 ltr flask.

Back