Starter and clear wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I've come to learn that the best evidence that the yeast starter has been succesfull is the presence of a band of yeast at the bottom of the vessel.

That I have, but the band doensn't really look any bigger or more defined than it was before I pitched the yeast in my starter, which has been about 3 days now.

I've noticed, however, that the wort has cleared up considerably. What was once relatively opaque is now relatively transparent.

Does the clarifying of the wort signify that the yeast is ok and ready to pitch in my beer?

It was a 2 liter starter, with wyeast 1056 that i want to use for a Rye PA.

Thanks

I've come to learn that the best evidence that the yeast starter has been succesfull is the presence of a band of yeast at the bottom of the vessel.

That I have, but the band doensn't really look any bigger or more defined than it was before I pitched the yeast in my starter, which has been about 3 days now.

I've noticed, however, that the wort has cleared up considerably. What was once relatively opaque is now relatively transparent.

Does the clarifying of the wort signify that the yeast is ok and ready to pitch in my beer?

It was a 2 liter starter, with wyeast 1056 that i want to use for a Rye PA.

Thanks

Most likely but it would be easy to check the gravity of your starter to be sure. Just pour out enough of the starter to fill up your hydrotube. If the gravity is under 1.015 (assuming a starter OG around 1.40), you should be good to go.

Most likely but it would be easy to check the gravity of your starter to be sure. Just pour out enough of the starter to fill up your hydrotube. If the gravity is under 1.015 (assuming a starter OG around 1.40), you should be good to go.

don't need to do that, risks infecting the starter.

what i do after my started finishes up is cold crash in the fridge overnight, that'll knock the rest of the yeast out of suspension. you can then decant the starter beer off the yeast, swirl the slurry and pitch only slurry.

don't need to do that, risks infecting the starter.

what i do after my started finishes up is cold crash in the fridge overnight, that'll knock the rest of the yeast out of suspension. you can then decant the starter beer off the yeast, swirl the slurry and pitch only slurry.

Um, how does pouring liquid out of your starter risk an infection? Its not like you would put it back in after checking the gravity...

I agree I try to open starters as little as possible.

If hiphops wants to be sure his starter fermented out and the yeast is ready to pitch, checking the gravity is probably the only sure fire way to check.

He could even do it right before pitching...just decant into the hydro tube before pitching. Checking the gravity should take all of 15 seconds then.

I agree I try to open starters as little as possible.

If hiphops wants to be sure his starter fermented out and the yeast is ready to pitch, checking the gravity is probably the only sure fire way to check.

He could even do it right before pitching...just decant into the hydro tube before pitching. Checking the gravity should take all of 15 seconds then.

that's what i'd do. cold crash, decant, check the gravity of that, then pitch. :mug:

thanks for the advice everyone. i ended up cold crashing, decanting, checking the gravity and pitching. while i didn't check the gravity of the starter wort, i assume it was about 1.040 (2 quarts water and a cup of DME) i ended up with 1.10. best off, i woke up to the smell of fermenting beer . . . it smells like "victory."

Glad you got it figured out.

The whole idea is to grow enough yeast for your fermentation. If you run into that situation again (unsure if you have enough yeast built up in the starter), you can always do a step up. Just decant the used wort and add another new wort on top. Give it another 24 hours and you should see more yeast on the bottom as well as a krausen going. Those are the visual signs I use instead of breaking out the hydrometer. Just my two cents.

Back