Started building my mash tun yesterday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I took the stainless steel braid off of the pipe and put everything in order according to the post here on homebrewtalk...I noticed that the steel braid is extremely soft and "pinchable". I've also been reading that there are a lot of people who say to use a ss spring to give it support, but there's another post from Bobby that says it doesn't really have that much pressure and some people don't reinforce at all.

I can't see how the weight of the grain can't crush this thing if it's not supported....can you "pinch" yours without resistance?

I had good results with an un-reinforced SS braid. I quickly upgraded to a false bottom, though. Totally worth it.

I'm thinking mine is synthetic. It stated on the package though that it's stainless steel, but it feels like cloth almost. I didn't even have to bend the ends in to keep from getting cut. Is this going to be an issue?

Take a lighter to it. If it glows red and doesn't burn, it's SS. If it burns, you got gypped. It will be an issue-- those synthetic ones can't handle the temps.

Never tried one, I made a false bottom of my own out of a stainless steel square. Works great, lot cheaper than buying one.

I'd bet you have a synthetic one. When I built my mash tun I got one that was synthetic by mistake. Once you have a SS one you know it. I can not crush mine even with pretty good pressure. Loews is where I got mine as I heard Home Depot don't carry SS ones.

Lowes does carry them. That is where I purchased mine based on a recommendation I found here. I did not reinforce mine and have had no issue with pinching or a stuck sparge. I could not be happier with the results.

Back