Started an Apple Bochet (boe shay)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spafmagic

Reaction score
(for those that don't know, bochets used cooked primary componants. In this case, honey.)

So I was inspired to do an apple juice bochet, with a few tweaks of my own, after watching the making of a version that uses caramelized apples in primary.
Cooked/boiled a pint of honey for 10 or so minutes to darken it some and alter the flavor profile
Boiled half the apple juice with 2 tea bags of apple cinnamon tea that contains apples, cinnamon, hibiscus, orange and lemon peel, rose hips and blossoms.
After turning off the heat, combined the boiled apple juice and cooked honey together.
Dropped the other half of the apple juice in, cold from the fridge to cool the mix to fermenting temps and added a pint of raw honey.
Hydrometer test came to an OG of 1.140
Added 71B yeast.

So... I made something of a blow off/air lock jar to try something different than my normal method, just in case the fermentation was rather strong. Got a good ferment going, but I didn't notice any pressure relief, from the vessel to the jar... video taken, link here:

Any thoughts?

There's visible bubbles rising in that jug, so the air/pressure is going somewhere. Since it's not going to the blowoff jar, chances are you've got a leak either in the cap on the jug, or where the hose attaches to the cap.

There's visible bubbles rising in that jug, so the air/pressure is going somewhere. Since it's not going to the blowoff jar, chances are you've got a leak either in the cap on the jug, or where the hose attaches to the cap.
Will definitely look into if it's the cap, the a little silicone around the tube may seal it up.

Figured it out... I used a new cap, poked another "bung" tube through it, sealed it with super glue letting it cure. Re-attached the hose and used some plastic wrap for extra sealant for the cap on the jug. When it STILL didn't push Co2 through to the water, I took the attached solid tubing off, and that's what it was. The hose wasn't sealed to the tubing the way it should have been.

Last edited:
STOP RIGHT NOW! Screwing on a lid is one thing, but SUPER GLUE? Use silicone caulk instead.

As long as you have a good seal and the off gassing is reaching the blow-off jar you'll be OK.

A last word about using plastic wrap to seal the jug lid down tightly...if there is no off-gassing the wrap will cause pressure build up and it will POP the jug and you'll lose everything. One big "bottle bomb". ; ' )

No, no... I didn't super glue the -lid/cap- on. I stuck the bung tube down into a small hole on the cap. The super glue is only surrounding the tube on the /outer/ surface of the cap. It's not exposed to the must.

As for the plastic wrap, way ahead of ya... I poked a hole in the center of the wrap for the bung tube to go through so there wouldn't be any pressure buildup. Else, there wouldn't be bubbles coming from the hose. There's a bubble about every 8 seconds so far.

Latest posts

Back