Starsan solution in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMahn

Reaction score
In the past, I used vodka or distilled water for airlock fluid, but last batch, I tried Starsan in the airlock. I used the correctly diluted solution that I use to sanitize. Every time the airlock bubbled up, the film from the bubble would catch a tiny bit on the edge of the tube in the middle and a tiny amount of solution would stick and slide down. After a couple hours of bubbling, the solution ran dry. If I refilled with Starsan solution, the same thing would happen.

I know a lot of people use Starsan for their airlocks. Any ideas why this happened?

I guess I can switch back to vodka, but the Starsan thing sounded appealing...

-E

I've never had that issue with Starsan before. Every airlock has been just fine with it. Interesting to see if anyone else has had this happen to them...

I always get a crown of bubbles on top of the airlock, not much drips down though.

I also always use Starsan and have had airlocks set for months and it did not evaporate. Something else is causing your problem.

I use starsan in the S shaped bubbler airlocks. During an active high krausen ferment, there would be 3 inches of star san foam blowing out the top of the air lock and running down the outside of the carboy. If that is happening, I just remove the airlock. There is so much CO2 coming off the beer during active fermentation you don't need an airlock to protect against oxygen. I cover the opening of the carboy with tinfoil to keep the fruit flies out until after high krausen and it has slowed down enough to put the air lock back on.

The 3-piece airlock worked perfectly well with water or vodka, so it doesn't appear to be damaged in any way. Starsan dilution, 1oz/5 gal water.

Latest posts

Back