Starsan question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alucard1983

Reaction score
Just pick up a 32 oz bottle today, But I got a question on it. If just say I mix up a 5 gallon bath today how long will it last in a 5 gallon bucket for untill it's not usable anymore?

There's not a definite answer. It depends on the pH of your water to begin with, how much debris is allowed to enter the vessel and how much material you sanitize with it. Starsan is an acid sanitizer, meaning that as long as the pH is below a certain threshold (in this case, I believe it's 3.0), it should remain effective.

I remember learning early, "when it's cloudy, it may or may not be bad. But, if it's bad, it will become cloudy." - So, for me, I usually throw out when it starts to become cloudy without even testing pH. It's really not that great of a cost at our scale. I also usually mix up only 2 1/2 gallons at a time.

All that aside... I keep saran wrap and foil over my prepared starsan bucket (I lost the lid or I would use that) and typically keep it for a month or two across several batches. I also clean and rinse very well before sanitizing.

Well if you can do numerous batches with one serving that's good I wa wondering if u use it once do you have to dump it. I have to bottle Tommrow and that's why I was asking I was gonna also clean my kegs as well

I use distilled water and it last for about 6 months

This, it will never turn cloudy or smell. I just use 1/2oz. in 3 gallons of distilled water in a 5 gallon bottling bucket (ph still well within specs) and dip everything in there.

A lot of people fill or think they have to fill fermenters or kegs, I just pour a cup in them and shake a few times, then dump it right back into the bucket for further use.

I do the same as WW does, pour a pint into the keg and shake the piss out of it then set it on its side for 30 secs, shake it again and set it on the other side.

then I drain it into my bottling bucket and after it settles for a half day (or whenever I get around to it) I use the valve on the bucket to put it back into my gallon jug.

Just mix it with distilled water and it 'stays good' longer than it stays around, due to small losses here and there.

Agreed, I also use distilled and check the Ph every month or two. Lasts indefinitely if you filter dirt/debris out of it when necessary

It lasts as long as the ph stays below 3.0. I usually run out before it goes too high in ph. I have a 5 gallon water cooler bottle. I make some and pour it in there I then fill a spray bottle. That is where I lose most of it.

I make up a gallon at a time in a one gallon carboy with distilled water. Use most of it in a spray bottle. Run it into another gallon carboy with my siphoning equipment to sanitize the hosing. Everything else gets spray bottled.

Latest posts

Back