Starsan and chalky water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
I live in an area where our water is about a ph of 8, which I have just found out turns starsan instantly cloudy.
Is a mixture like this completely useless, or will it work for one session? If not, is there anything I can do to make it work? I can buy distilled water but its not exactly cheap to do so!

Idk what it costs you folks over there,but I get a gallon of store brand distilled water for about 79c. It sounds like the ph is too far off,& maybe even microbial activity in it. I've even found Amoeba's in ours. So you may have to use the distilled water,I do. It'll last a good amount of time that way. I even use a coffee filter & funnel to filter mine into old vodka jugs to clean it up before pouring it back into the cleaned milk jug.

The water is chlorinated, so shouldn't be too much swimming in it. The internet tells me about £6 for 5 litres. I'm guessing I can find better if I actually go to the shops though, will have to have a hunt around and see what I can find.

If your house has a salt-based ion exchange water softener, the softened water is excellent for making the sanitizing solution. Its just not good for beer brewing.

Ah thanks! Always forget the stickies when using the phone app!
will have a listen to those :)

Back