Starch Peanut Starch/Sugar Source for wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolclay

Reaction score
I've been working on building a wort recipe based on recycling starch peanuts as the main sugar source instead of flaked corn. Starch packing peanuts are made of processed corn starch, and hence very little nutrition (besides starch). Of course I'll need lots of barley for the gluco-amylase conversion. I'll also be adding some DAP because I am sure the peanuts have been denitrified, and denutrified. Obviously I'll be adding various other flavoring grains, and hops too. Does anyone have any ideas why this would or wouldn't work.

Be sure to add a metric crap ton of rice hulls to that mash!! :mug:

I like this idea! :mug:

The thread might get a little more play in the "Recipes/Ingredients" forum though.
Have you seen the spaghetti beer thread? I don't recall where it is, but some people have had a lot of success with unusual sugar sources. Search it out if you haven't seen it. There is a lot of good discussion about the various pitfalls he encountered with the mash. Although, I suspect you will probably have less difficulty with your project.

The one concern that occurred to me is the unknown composition of the peanuts. It's not intended for consumption, so the manufacturer could put just about anything in there.

Back