Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to go Star Trek > Star Wars, and only because of Episode 1. Ruined the entire franchise with that little nugget.
But stepping out of the ST vs SW debate, and putting into the realm of best SciFi it goes like this.

1. Battle Star Galactica (Re Invisioned, not the crappy original)
2. Firefly/Serenity
3. Doctor Who (all of them!!!)
4. Star Trek (all but DS9 or Voyager)
5. Star Wars (4,5, & 6 only).
6. Star Gate
7. Buck Rogers
8. Flash Gordon
9. Flesh Gordon (you know you watched it)
10. Lost in Space

Have to go Star Trek > Star Wars, and only because of Episode 1. Ruined the entire franchise with that little nugget.
But stepping out of the ST vs SW debate, and putting into the realm of best SciFi it goes like this.

2. Firefly/Serenity
6. Star Gate
7. Buck Rogers
8. Flash Gordon
10. Lost in Space

I think that's pretty close. But you forgot Galaxy Quest!

MV5BMjA0NjM1ODkyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY0NDMzMg@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

So I heard some news outlet today talking about Abrams being the next director of Star Wars, and one of the anchors said something to the effect of, "Star Wars fans hate Star Trek fans and vice versa". That's actually one of the reasons I started this thread. I love Star Trek, but think Star Wars is excellent too. Sure my loyalties lie with Starfleet, but I can definitely acknowledge the great story Star Wars has to offer. I don't hate Star Wars at all. I wanted to see what this forum thought on the matter, and we're almost to 300 posts and not a belligerent word has been said. Sure we all share a common hobby...maybe we aren't indicative of the population as a whole. Maybe homebrewers are more level headed people.

Anyway, I originally posted this thread to drunken ramblings for a reason. I love brewing and drinking my own beer and I love Star Trek.

I prefer star Wars but I used to watch Next Generation religiously. I never heard of this hate. I think we're just happy to find someone else to talk to that loves sci fi. It's the force that makes me lean Star wars.

I love how reporters like to give their expert opinions on anything nerdy. I wouldn't doubt they'd say something about beer geeks hating lagers. While I think all star trek or star wars fans have a preference, I believe most of them like the other or at least have respect for it. At least the serious ones who've taken the time to watch the other.

I love how reporters like to give their expert opinions on anything nerdy. I wouldn't doubt they'd say something about beer geeks hating lagers. While I think all star trek or star wars fans have a preference, I believe most of them like the other or at least have respect for it. At least the serious ones who've taken the time to watch the other.

This. I loved growing up watching both star wars and star trek... I believe that both fill a spot in our hearts that the other can't :

Star Wars gives us that epic fantasy drama that allows us to witness the development of characters with immense depth, a love story that wouldn't work anywhere else, and Wookies...

Star Trek gives us solid episodic stories rooted in hard science and characters that are deep but not overburdenning (sp?) The audience with their problems, and red shirts...

Ha ha, found this on buzzfeed in an article about tip jars.

image-1364905469.jpg

Farscape Blu-Ray on Amazon GoldBox today. Worth the $50-ish for the series in HD?

I plan to buy it streaming. I just see the world going in that direction.

(plus with small kids, my cds and dvds just seem to get scratched;) helped me move forward just a bit)

Farscape is a pretty solid show - at least the first couple seasons were, from what I recall. It probably got a little weird towards the end as most sci-fi shows tend to do.

I'm making a label just like on the Liquid Schwartz in the movie. Still trying to figure out how to make it glow when you pour it in a glass... :confused:

While I wouldnt suggest it, you could use tonic water. It's UV reactive. Think the quinine would not be a good flavor though.

But ya that wouldn't work for a schwarzbierb anyhow...

While I wouldnt suggest it, you could use tonic water. It's UV reactive. Think the quinine would not be a good flavor though.

But ya that wouldn't work for a schwarzbierb anyhow...

OH, but Liquid Schartz would be a golden ale of some sort. It's Yogurts drink. The Schwartzbier woudl be for Dark Helmet (And drank out of a styrofoam cup...)

Dark Helmet: "What's with all the churning and bubbling? You call this a radar?"

Colonel Sandurz: "No, sir, we call it, 'Mr. Beer'. Care for some?"

Dark Helmet: "Yes! I always have beer when I watch radar. You know that!"

Colonel Sandurz: "Of course I do, sir."

Dark Helmet: "Everbody knows that!"

(everybody in unison, covering their private parts with their hands) "OF COURSE WE DO, SIR!"

Dark Helmet: "Now that I've had my beer, I'm ready to watch radar. Where is it?"

Colonel Sandruz: "Right here, sir." (points to a machine labeled 'Mr. Radar'.

I was watching some choice episodes of TNG last night on Hulu+. My wife asked if we could watch Star Wars instead. She asked, and I quote, "Isn't Star Trek just the ugly step sister to Star Wars?". I've never considered divorce before...

snyklez said:
I was watching some choice episodes of TNG last night on Hulu+. My wife asked if we could watch Star Wars instead. She asked, and I quote, "Isn't Star Trek just the ugly step sister to Star Wars?". I've never considered divorce before...

She has a point....

As you should! Is she referring to Episodes 4 - 6 or is she referring to 1 - 3. Episodes 1 - 3 were god awful garbage filled with ridiculous CGI effects. I'm supposed to believe that Anakin can leap hundreds of feed in the air onto a moving target, but can't see through Palpatine's crap? Also the acting for Episodes 1 - 3 was atrocious and the dialogue was painful to endure.

My 5 year old said that she liked Ep4. Although, now that I think about it, she has no interest in watching it again, or seeing Ep5 for that matter....
Hmmmmm.....

I’m off to Mos Eisley, wookie by my side, the speed that I ride is light can’t deny
I’m Solo, Han Solo, I’m Han Solo, I’m Han Solo, Sooloooo.

Black vest pressed and my white collar popped
I’m off to the cantina blue milk on the rocks
Had to be Tatooine where they don’t serve droids
We’re chillin with some villains cuz we currently employed
No more kitchens rescue missions we barter charter flights
It’s no trouble cuz we smuggle if we find the price is right
And on this particular night me and my wookie’s playing hookey
Wanna see the Modal Nodes maybe score Tonnika nookie
see I’m seeking out a sweetheart on the run from my last one
she was talkin matrimony me and my homey pulled a fast one
rather chill with Swilla Corey that blonde with the crimps
lemme pimp for a minute for I cash in my chips
When u see the T-head then you know that it’s on
The Nodes know the lo so they’re playin my song
I might be a space jockey not a grody nee modian
Just a sharp shootin shadow always avoidin a Rodian

I’m off to Mos Eisley, wookie by my side, the speed that I ride is light can’t deny

Hey there mister u don’t get the picture
I’ll do a fake out make out with your sister

I’m Solo, I’m Han Solo, I’m Han Solo, I’m Han Solo, Sooloooo.

Doctor’s startin drama Ponda Baba trollin hicks
I just wanna flirt with chicks but this kid is startin ****
Now somebody lost a limb and my thumbs on the safety
I just came to party I hope nobody plays me
I like a speak easy where u don’t need a password
I’m a pilot and a pirate but I don’t have a patch, weird
Weapons ain’t no match for D44 blasters
Obnoxious spocks get shot by Chewbacca’s bowcaster
I’m my own master no jet set to join
The Empire and Rebels are still on the same coin
No enemies just heavenly bods and don’t tell me the odds
This guy to girl ratio is gettin me hot.
Yeah I know I got debts to pay, but that can wait
I’m gonna rock let Jabba jock my dockin bay
No lame ricochet gonna ruin my day
Now back to the podrace with ur ***** fish face

Soooooooloooooo, Sooooolooooo, Sooloo yea

It’s like S-O-L-O S-O-L-O S-O-L-O

I made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs

Read more at http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2010/09/25/epic-the-han-solo-rap-by-mc-chris/#cI8qRjKVJsMij9VJ.99

2. Firefly/Serenity
6. Star Gate
7. Buck Rogers
8. Flash Gordon
10. Lost in Space

I would humbly disagree. Assuming we're talking SciFi series:

Star Trek (Anything but DS9)
Star Wars
Dr Who
The Alien franchise. (They reinvented the monster movie)
Space 1999 (Groundbreaking)
X-Files
Firefly
Battle Star Galactica (I'll take the original-it was revolutionary in the 70s)

Is this a joke?

It's even worse that you put up a picture of the Freddie Mercury 1980s version of Flash Gordon.

If you'd at least have put up a picture of Buster Crabtree, I would have given you a pass.

Well since you mentioned it, I'll throw Buck Rogers out there as well.
tumblr_lj7pp53YX21qir6s9o1_400.jpg

Last night we finished the final Netflix disc for Enterprise. They ended it well.
For me it's:
Enterprise
Deep Space Nine
Next Generation
Original (which I first saw the original broadcasts as a teenager on a black & white Philco).
Voyager.

Last night we finished the final Netflix disc for Enterprise. They ended it well.
For me it's:
Enterprise
Deep Space Nine
Next Generation
Original (which I first saw the original broadcasts as a teenager on a black & white Philco).
Voyager.

Really? DS9 in 2nd?!

And Voyager was probably the most underrated IMO.

For me each of the series has its own merits. DS9 was probably as entertaining as you could make a star trek station, Voyager was the best at the Borg and really defined one of the most iconic sci fi bad guys of all time. TNG had the best crew and best captain, Enterprise has the hottest characters and probably the best if longest plot line. TOS defined the whole series and brought us Spock and Scotty and tribbles. If you twisted my arm to rank them, it would be TNG, Enterprise, DS9, Voyager, TOS. That's mainly due to how easy it is to rewatch and the characters.

Back