Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to thinking about the 3 prequel Star Wars movies and how so many people who were fans of the original trilogy hate them and realized something. Ya know who does like the prequels? Kids. A lot of kids I talk to love the Prequels but don't really care for the originals. Then I realized... these kids were about the same age when the prequels came out as I was when I saw the originals.

Maybe the prequels aren't as bad as folks make them out to be. Maybe we're just not the audience anymore. Is JarJar any more annoying than C3PO (who I remember many adults despising when I saw the originals) was back then? Maybe we're just looking back on the "good old days" with rose colored glasses and expecting something we enjoyed as kids to be translated to our adult views. Instead, maybe they tried to give out kids an experience similar to the one we had?

I got to thinking about the 3 prequel Star Wars movies and how so many people who were fans of the original trilogy hate them and realized something. Ya know who does like the prequels? Kids. A lot of kids I talk to love the Prequels but don't really care for the originals. Then I realized... these kids were about the same age when the prequels came out as I was when I saw the originals.

Maybe the prequels aren't as bad as folks make them out to be. Maybe we're just not the audience anymore. Is JarJar any more annoying than C3PO (who I remember many adults despising when I saw the originals) was back then? Maybe we're just looking back on the "good old days" with rose colored glasses and expecting something we enjoyed as kids to be translated to our adult views. Instead, maybe they tried to give out kids an experience similar to the one we had?

I agree 100% and have thought this exact same thing.

Then again, I actually liked the prequels.

What did anyone expect? The criticisms of the prequels (bad dialogue, no name actors, too much fake technology, stupid characters, etc) are the exact same of that of the originals at the time in '77-'83.

Oh, and I love how Star Tours at Disneyland has changed over time.

I'm going to have to boldly state that I expect DISNEY to actually improve upon the last few Star Wars movies. I just can't believe that with all of the outcry about how lame they have gotten, that Disney won't HAVE to take that into consideration!

Note to Disney: Watch "Empire Strikes Back".

There ya go.

Word.

Grown ups liked episode 4,5,6

Grown ups hate 1,2,3

The stuff in the "prequals" is ridiculous and fake. I care nothing about known or unknown actors. I just care about some consistency to plot, characters, and basic physics.

Stuff happens in the prequels that would have looked absolutely ridiculous in the old ones. Technology apparently progressed and then suddenly reversed itself for 4,5,6.

It could have been SO much better done.

I agree 100% and have thought this exact same thing.

Then again, I actually liked the prequels.

What did anyone expect? The criticisms of the prequels (bad dialogue, no name actors, too much fake technology, stupid characters, etc) are the exact same of that of the originals at the time in '77-'83.

Oh, and I love how Star Tours at Disneyland has changed over time.

No name actors? You mean like Samuel L Jackson, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen...?

Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are fantastic actors. I HATE seeing them act out the ridiculous BS depicted in those awful movies.

To be honest, Hayden Christensen isn't exactly a good actor.

I didn't think they could do worse than the awful kid from PM. Then I watched Christenson try to act. It just makes you cringe. Without a doubt, he has got to be one of the worst actors on Earth.

I didn't think they could do worse than the awful kid from PM. Then I watched Christenson try to act. It just makes you cringe. Without a doubt, he has got to be one of the worst actors on Earth.

Yeah, wtf? Only good part was hearing him squeal.

Well said. Makes sense. I was 5 when "A New Hope" came out and I got to watch all 3 movies on the big screen. A couple of years back, when my daughter was 5, we watched "A New Hope" and she loved it. We've watched it over and over a few dozen times since. It really is a great feeling sharing an experience I had as a child with my own child.

Since then, we've watched "The Empire Strikes Back" but she doesn't like it as much. We've also watched "A Phantom Menace". She liked JarJar but the rest of the movie was boring to her. As she gets older, we'll watch the other movies. My son is 4, I am hoping he also becomes a Star Wars fan as he gets a bit older.

Having said that, as much as I love Star Wars, my vote goes to Star Trek. I am a TNG geek, maybe because I was in engineering school when the show was airing and I could "relate" to Geordi! And no one can deny that Patrick Stewart is a terrific actor and in my opinion if it wasn't for his acting, the show may have not been as successful.

And no one can deny that Patrick Stewart is a terrific actor and in my opinion if it wasn't for his acting, the show may have not been as successful.

I felt the same way about Captain Janeway and Voyager.

I'd serve under her any day! Or on top of her, whatever she wanted!

watching the NEW Start Trek movie #1. My vote has always been with Star Trek. The other star movie is imitation.

Star Trek - simply for the volume of episodes. A couple hundred episodes, collectively vs. only 6. But Star Wars is great. Epic actually.

I remember having sex with a girl with the last name of Nicewinger (don't remember her first name... funny how the mind works) in the back seat of my car while "watching" The Return of the Jedi at the drive-in. I suppose I should vote for Star Wars for that reason alone, but the Enterprise series really tips the scale.

Does that mean that television and/or movies are better than sex? I suppose at my age it does, but I think I would have voted differently at 17.

And no one can deny that Patrick Stewart is a terrific actor and in my opinion if it wasn't for his acting, the show may have not been as successful.

I felt the same way about Captain Janeway and Voyager.

And I feel the exact opposite way about Scott Bakula and Enterprise. I really liked Enterprise but could never buy into Bakula as Capt Archer. I honestly think that if they'd cast another actor in that one role, the show would have been on for at least 5 more seasons.

And I feel the exact opposite way about Scott Bakula and Enterprise. I really liked Enterprise but could never buy into Bakula as Capt Archer. I honestly think that if they'd cast another actor in that one role, the show would have been on for at least 5 more seasons.

Funny. Scott Bacula was the single reason I watched the show. i think he was great as the captain. That was an absolutely awesome series. I think the genre had run its course though. Six seasons is great for any show though. It was a very successful series.

Scott Bakula is the reason I learned magic.

I like Scott Bakula. I thought Quantum Leap was a great show. I even liked him in that horrible Major League sequel. I just didn't buy him as Archer and he tainted the whole show. Episodes that focused on other characters were always better. Any time he was on screen he just really appeared to be Scott Bakula acting like a starship captain.

I think so too. Hearing the characters talk of pre federation earth is pretty great. All rustic, and full of violence.

Old Spock battles New Spock in the greatest car commercial ever

Sorry, Volkswagen Darth Vader Kid. This new Audi commercial, starring both Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto, has beat you. You've got two Spocks smack-talking each other, Leonard Nimoy cursing, and best of all, an impromptu rendition of the "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins."
http://io9.com/old-spock-battles-new-spock-in-the-greatest-car-commerc-493836696

P.S. It wasn't quite over when it appears to be.

Star Wars is a great movie and all, but I can only watch it so many times. I've probably watched hundreds of hours of Star Trek, and there's still much more I haven't seen yet.

But that's not the main reason I like it better. Star Trek is more than just entertaining. It's an example of humanity at its best. And it's not just good vs evil, which rarely happens in real life. The conflicts are usually based on tough moral dilemmas. If I find my morals wavering, or my leadership faltering, I can ask myself "What would Warf do?" Or "What would Picard do?" and the answer is as good as any moral code from religion.

Ok maybe I'm over-stating it, but you could do worse than trying to live up to the ideals of Star Trek.

Warf would scream then attack it. Just sayin.

I really don't see Star Wars as taking much inspiration at all from Trek. It drew much more on samurai films than anything. It definitely leans more towards fantasy while Trek is more to pure science fiction.

I really don't see Star Wars as taking much inspiration at all from Trek. It drew much more on samurai films than anything. It definitely leans more towards fantasy while Trek is more to pure science fiction.

I think Star Wars is brillant. The philosophies it uses like, reluctant hero, use of the colors for the Empire, and good vrs. Evil are incredible and purposeful. However, cloaking device, transporters (small ships), use of Empire as the foe think Klingon, etc. What I found interesting with Star Wars is the expectation you knew what a cloaking device was.

Star wars A galaxy far far away.
Star Trek with people from Earth
Makes Star Trek more relative to me.

Latest posts

Back