Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamo27

Reaction score
I'm using star San for the first time and I need to clarify a few things
I'm using a bottle rinser one of these spring loaded ones , makes the job pretty easy,
Star San is foaming loads and when do I know it's spent
Should it foam so much
Is a few pushes enough to sanitise?

Starsan will foam, don't fear the foam.
It is good if the pH is below 3.0. You can get pH test strips.
If the inside of the bottle gets fully wet it is enough. A few squirts is plenty.

Let the bottles drain but do not dry them out. Starsan is a wet contact sanitizer. If it dries out it is no longer working.

Proper mixture is one ounce in 5 gallons of water.

So when the bottles are on the tree draining they needn't be left to dry is that what you mean by do not dry them? Do you bottle straight away?
What effects has starsan on beer?
Thanks

So when the bottles are on the tree draining they needn't be left to dry is that what you mean by do not dry them? Do you bottle straight away?
What effects has starsan on beer?
Thanks

Right, I use the bottom rack in my dishwasher. Spritz a bottle, put it on the rack, repeat until all are sanitized, fill them all and cap.

There is no effect on the beer unless you have 1/4 of the bottle filled then add the beer. It would dilute the beer.

What I do to avoid the foam is to fill one gallon with water and then add the Star San and gently mix. This takes away the excessive foaming during prep.

Thanks, Nil :mug:

How much star San do you add to the gallon? I've also heard of ppl making a star San solution in a gallon jug and reusing. LHBS suggested not to do that since it has an expiration date. Thoughts?

About 1/2 oz per gal. I mix up a batch & fill my spray bottle as needed. I rinse my carboys & bungs then dump back into my bucket for sanitizing tubing, spoon, mash paddle etc

Back