Star San question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterOJ

Reaction score
Once you mix up a batch of Star San, is it okay to keep it in a spray bottle for long periods of time?

I'm thinking ahead to when I want to take a sample of my beer in a couple weeks. I won't want to make up a whole gallon or two of Star San just to sanitize my beer thief. Will a few liberal squirts from some pre-made Star San work okay for that?

I have heard it will last 2-3 weeks, as long as the Ph remains below 3. I personally have kept it is a sealed container for over a month, but then had some issues with a batch that might have been sanitation related, so to eliminate that as a potential issue I use 2 weeks as a pretty hard and fast rule. I usually mix up a 10 gallon container, so it is a lot cheaper to spend a little on Star San that have the whole batch go bad, IMHO.

It will stay indefinitely if you use distilled water and keep it in a sealed container, like a spray bottle. VERY handy to have around for taking samples and other impromptu needs. Walgreens sells distilled water for a buck a gallon.

You will get differing opinions on effectiveness of StarSan after it goes cloudy, is old, etc. However, I have saved a few of batches (which were cloudy from hard water) and after about four months I checked with a pH meter, and all were pH 2.3.

I keep StarSan in a spray bottle and use it regularly for sanitizing the thief as you are suggesting and find it very convenient - you will be fine.

For what it's worth, I have switched to making it with distilled water as well. Aesthetically it's a lot nicer, but, mostly, I no longer worry that it may clog my spray bottle.

Good luck.

I think as long as the Star-San solution isn't heated up, it should last months, at least I thought remember hearing that...

Here's a video craigtube did about startsan that's pretty conclusive; [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j7q2oGQQhI]Bung rescue, Starsan info, and a request - YouTube[/ame]

Listen to brewstrongs sanitation episode they have the maker interviewed. Use distilled water and you won't have to wworry about it

unionrdr,

I watched that video when it came out, it put a seed in my head which changed my thinking about more than just Star San. I rate Craig right up there with John Palmer, Charlie Papazion, Michael Jackson (the brewer) and Bobby_M

Mahalo,

Dan

Gotta agree with ya there. I'm a subscriber myself,so I got to see it asap. It proves my suspicions that cloudy doesn't mean ruined. I think when it changes from milky white to tan,etc,it's time to pitch it.

Just get a cheap pack of pH test strips...

I knew cloudy didn't mean ruined because it's the pH that does the job, which needs to remain under 3.5, and despite turning cloudy pretty much instantly in my water, it would stay around 1.5 for months...

Yeah,that's ok. I just wanted to show that cloudy doesn't mean ruined. But also that,as you said,it's the PH level of 3 or less that does the job.

I recently tried using RO water 3 weeks ago. I mixed 2 gallons, and it's still crystal clear. PH is still around 2+.... At 25 cents per gal it works out nicely.

I have a 5 gallon water bottle and make varying amounts. I brew often enough that even using a spray bottle it never lasts long enough to go bad. Just to be sure, once I just added a little more solution to the bottle.

Notice that he is using 1/2 oz of starsan per gallon which is way too much. 1/2 oz per 2.5 gallons is more accurate according to their directions..

If you use above the recommended mix rate it may no longer be a no rinse still per the maker of star san

My approach is to draw 0.5 ml of Star San with a 1.0 ml pipette and add to 10.82 ounces of water in a spray bottle (I measured 10.82 oz of water with a graduated cylinder and marked the level on my spray bottle to make refills easier). Perfect for quick contact, and I can also open the spray bottle and dump the solution into my carboy or whatever, slosh around and funnel back into the spray bottle.

I make wine from grapes and beer regularly, and by dosing out 0.5 ml rather than 1 oz every time my bottle of Star San will last me practically forever. One spray bottle can easily get me through an entire batch of beer, from boil to bottle. A huge money saver technique that works for me. Your mileage may vary.

ZamaMan said:
If you use above the recommended mix rate it may no longer be a no rinse still per the maker of star san

It'll be fine. It's perfectly consumable as long as the pH isn't so low that it's dangerous to swallow (and once diluted by 5+ gallons of beer, there's just no way in hell). However, it's a waste of money to mix it in a higher concentration than necessary...

Back