star san question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I use star san and have a question about re using it, last weekend I bottled a batch, after the star san was in my bottling bucket I transfered it to my secondary and put a zip lock bag over the carboy hole.It has been that way for a week, is the star san still good? Or do I need to re sanitize?

I use star san and have a question about re using it, last weekend I bottled a batch, after the star san was in my bottling bucket I transfered it to my secondary and put a zip lock bag over the carboy hole.It has been that way for a week, is the star san still good? Or do I need to re sanitize?

If the PH is low enough its still fine - I think it's 3.2 that it needs to be below

Honestly though, I would just make a new batch, its really not that expensive

Many of us make up a batch and re-use it. You can also pick up an empty spray bottle and fill that up with StarSan. Very handy.
Once it gets cloudy, or after a month or so, toss it and make up more.

if you used de-aerated water or boiled the water and cooled before you used it, then its probably ok if it has been completely sealed.
if not, then its probably neutralized its self.
after it has been exposed to the air it begins to break down if left in an open container.

cant remember where I read that, but I did read it somewhere and live by it.;)

I make mine with deionized water and it will last until the ph creeps over 3.

Charlie Talley(inventor of star san):

Star San is based on phosphoric acid, being an acid is is very friendly to s/s. When storing the use solution of Star San keep these things in mind. First it is still active as long as the pH is below 3, and the solution is clear. When the solution turns cloudy the soap in Star San has reacted with the mineral in the make-up water and has made the final solution useless. A good way of getting around this is to make up the Star San up with D.I. Water.

Keeping Star is plastic or in Stainless Steel is OK as long as the first two comments are met.

Star San will kill just about every organism known to man in 30 seconds.

And last but not least is the foam. Since Star San will not kill when the pH goes above 3 any small amount left in a bottle or a keg will not stop the furmentation process and it is safe to drink the beer that is what comes out of the package. That is why Star San has a no rinse claim.

Oh one more thing Star San is an acid and it will make a mess of counter-tops and rugs if it is spilled on them be carfull when using it.

Charlie

Back