Star-San in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I just bottled a 6-pack of an imperial nut brown, which is VERY tasty. I sanitized my bottles in star-san and bottled as usual. I had one concern though. I soaked all of my bottles in 5 gal of star-san and quickly dumped the solution from the bottles back into the sanitizer. I kept them all upright while getting the rest of the gear set up as the foam settled in the bottles. My intention was to pour off the rest of the liquid from the settled foam, but of course, forgot until after I bottled. Would the splash of star-san resting in the bottom of the bottles have any effect on the beer? I know you can rack on foam, but they tell you to get all of the standing liquid out first. One of those things that prevents me from RDWHAHB.

Most of the sanitzers we use, especially Starsan and iodophor are No rinse/wet contact sanitizers. They are literally double edged swords. They kill two ways. They kill everything on the object prior to sanitizing, and then as long as they are still wet they form a sanitizer barrier that kills everything that comes into contact with object.

If you let the sanitizer dry any micro organism that comes in contact with the sanitized object, rather than being killed by it, makes the object no longer sanitzed.

If you let it dry you are reducing it's efficacy by 50%

You really want to sanitize right at the time you are using the thing you are sanitizing. And let the wort/beer flow on top of it.

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/[/QUOTE]

In starsan's case it becomes yeastfood which is really good for fermentation.

Plus it is fun to look at.

"Stupid Starsan Tricks" or why you shouldn't fear the foam...

So is this enough hand holding for you??? ;)

thanks! That's why I love this site! Always the reassurance that you didn't screw up your beer. Additional posts are always welcome to this topic.

thanks! That's why I love this site! Always the reassurance that you didn't screw up your beer. Additional posts are always welcome to this topic.

Instead why don't you listen to the podcast linked inside the sanitization thread from the creator of starsan...you then won't need a repeat of what's already been said, you'll have the same facts that we have and that we used to re-assure you. He goes into quite a lot of detail on how safe it is. ;)

I tried looking on this site to see if anyone had racked on the solution itself but couldn't find anything. I guess I need to work on my navigation skills a little better ;).

Yeah that looked cool. I'll have to try that next time. I always rack on the foam without worry. Shooter made me feel better by saying that he racked on 2 cups of the solution without a problem! Thanks Shooter!

Back