Star-San foamy like soap...good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70Cuda383

Reaction score
I just started using Star-San for my sanitizer, it's worked good, but dang it's awfully foamy like I'm using way too much dish soap in the sink when doing the dinner dishes...HUGE HEAD OF FOAM!!! and it sticks behind and stays in the bottles/carboy, etc.

I know I'm not supposed rinse it away, but I'm paranoid about all that foam in my bottles and stuff...

am I supposed to get all this foam? or am I mixing it too strongly?

if I leave it, what will it do to my beer? will it kill off the yeast before it can finish aging/carbing in the bottle?

"Don't fear the foam." Starsan is like magic, kills bugs then breaks down and actually benefits the yeast...like a nutrient.

The foam is totally normal. I just turn the bottle upside down to make sure there isn't too much liquid before filling w beer.

This goes for carboys and buckets too. The foam rides the beer or wort up as you rack, killing as it goes, and providing a barrier from anything that may fall in during transfer.

Just follow the directions for diluting it, and make sure you don't let your surfaces dry out.

Back