Star-San dillution tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebraskan

Assoc. Winemaker
Reaction score
Star-San is diluted 1 fl/ 5 gal water. For me that is a lot of working strength sanitizer. I bought the smaller 8 oz bottle and lasts a long time, and here is what I do.

1 fl = 29.57353 ml so 1 gallon need 1/5 of this amount 29.57373/5 = 5.9147 ml. Round to 6 ml for the sake of convenience. You get a 10ml blowout pipette, glass, TD (to deliver) and simply suck up 6 ml into the pipette (which is at the 4ml mark) and blow it out into the gallon of water, and use some of that water, to draw up into the pipette again to get all of it out as it is thick. I have a 1/2 gallon growler, clear, that I put 3ml into and filled with water. This is the equivalent of having 5 gallons of the sanitizer sitting around, and with spray bottles and going from container to container a little can go a long way.

Since it is a blow out pipette in 10ml YOU draw up just a little over 3, which would be to the 6ml mark and put your finger tip of the end of the pipette and release a little pressure allowing the Star-San to go back into the bottle until you have the bottom of the meniscus at the 7ml mark. Remember, you are going backwards, and the bottom of the pipette represents 1 ml as it is not finely graduated at that point. Just count up the marks from 10, 9, 8, etc of ml and that is what you would need. Example: you need 5 go to the 5ml mark; you need 8ml go to the 2ml mark; you need 10ml go all the way to the 0 ml and when you let the fluid drain out of the pipette, blow the last of it in. WAIT for a few seconds, usually 7 sec on most fluids and blow again. Star-San, however, is rather viscous, so you will have to blow a few times, or merely draw up some water (sucking carefully) from your container and let that "rinse" out the pipette.

10ml blow out pipette is a wonderful investment and not overly expensive. Glass makes it easy to clean and sanitize. As your beer/cider/wine progresses, you can get out the pipette, make sure it is clean and sanitized, and then draw out 10ml + to a small glass to "taste" how things are going. Much better than a turkey baster. Useful in other ways for making up solutions or adding small amounts of fining agents (liquid) to beer/wine/cider.

I use a 10 mL graduated cylinder to measure mine out for my spray bottle - usually 2.5 mL. I just hang the graduated cylinder upside down in the spray bottle to let it drain out for a few minutes. After it's drained, I added a couple rounds of tap water to the graduated cylinder, shake well and pour that into the spray bottle. I then fill up the spray bottle the rest of the way with tap water and shake.

I add 1/4 tsp to 3 1/3 cups of tap water, using the measuring spoon to stir it.
I'm cheap.
That is also correct. figuring 5 gallons = 18927.06 ml and 1 fl. oz. = 29.57353 you use StarSan at the rate of 1 fl.oz/5 gallons or in metric that is 0.0015624 ml Star San / 1 ml of water and that comes out right. 29.57353/18927.06 gives you that. 64 fl oz is equivalent to 1892.706 ml, so take that X 0.0015624 and you get 2.95716ml of Star San needed per manufacture recommendations.

I use one capful per gallon. Am I close? Could someone measure. The only problem is it's messy. I like the idea of using a pipette. Thanks for the tips

I keep 1.5ml:1qt mixed in a spray bottle for quick sanitizaton, and also keep a 5gal carboy filled for dipping autosiphons, sanitizing kegs, etc.

I used to measure but then figured it is a lot easier and faster to keep it simple. My small Star San concentrate bottle has a 1/4 ounce measure. I fill to this line and pour into a one gallon jug. Little stronger than necessary but the bottle of concentrate still lasts a long time.

I use gallon vinegar jugs for storing the Star San solution. The plastic of vinegar jugs is made for holding an acid solution and they don't dent and leak like a distilled water jug. The jugs are easy to clean just in case there would be some mother making it through the filtering process.

I use one capful per gallon. Am I close? Could someone measure. The only problem is it's messy. I like the idea of using a pipette. Thanks for the tips

I was curious, so I checked a Starsan bottle cap, using water and a small graduated cylinder. I measured about 6 ml, so just right for mixing 1 gallon.

I agree, using the cap is messy, and I don't like spilling concentrated Starsan on my skin. A cheap pipette is a good investment.

Buy 2.5 gallon distilled water add 1/2 oz of starsan, dispense into bottle or container as needed through spout on water container. Has worked great for me for years. Still have a 5+ year old bottle of starsan I'm slowly working on.

I was curious, so I checked a Starsan bottle cap, using water and a small graduated cylinder. I measured about 6 ml, so just right for mixing 1 gallon.

I agree, using the cap is messy, and I don't like spilling concentrated Starsan on my skin. A cheap pipette is a good investment.
Haha, jim dandy. Thanks for measuring!

Wow, you all are precise with the starsan measurements. I just give the bottle a squeeze and go to about the 1/4 oz mark and guesstimate the water I'm mixing with and go. Grains and hops I use a scale, but starsan is a quick eyeball.

I don't even use the built-in measuring gizmo anymore. I just dump a bit into my spray bottle (I only ever use spraybottles). Looks like 1ml, not really sure. I did check the pH once and it was low enough. Yea, stuff lasts me forever.

When you measure it by guessing and you use too much, it won't be no rinse anymore and potentially toxic.
Measuring ensures you reach an effective concentration, but "toxic" is a stretch.
Unless maybe you're drinking a glass of pure undiluted star san, it's not harmful.

I just read here about one interview with the inventor of star San and he basically said that it won't get more powerful in higher concentrations but it would become a must rinse sanitiser. But don't ask me where to find that interview...

A teaspoon will make 3.15 liters. That's what I do, then refill my spray bottle as needed. In the USA I'd make 2 1/2 gallons at a time but here in Colombia StarSan is like gold, rare and expensive.

This thread is not about listing everything that is potentially toxic in your life but about star San dilution tips.

I'm aware of that.

In case ya' missed it, it was a "jab" @ you, in regards to some of your past comments on other threads, regarding the so called "dangers" of hops.......

Lighten up......

I use Starsan in a spray bottle at times, but mostly I use it in a couple gallons of water that I use to sanitize my fermenter. That solution then goes into a bucket where I soak hoses, airlock, stirring spoon etc. don't you folks use Starsan as a soaking solution?

I use Starsan in a spray bottle at times, but mostly I use it in a couple gallons of water that I use to sanitize my fermenter. That solution then goes into a bucket where I soak hoses, airlock, stirring spoon etc. don't you folks use Starsan as a soaking solution?

I go through a whole brewday without even touching the starsan. Why? The only thing it is needed for is the carboys, and I store them with some starsan solution inside and a airlock on the top. On brewday I just shake, dump, and fill.

Yep, anything that is used post boil goes into bucket to soak. Also a gallon or so for the fermenter. Then I save that batch for kegging time.

Too much precise measuring for me. I just squeeze into the measuring part of the bottle about 1/5 the recommended amount for 5 gallons and mix into 1 gallon. I use pH test strips to confirm a strong enough solution.

I used to keep a few gallons in a 5 gallon water bottle and top up from time to time. That was where I used to live and with the chemistry of that water, it never went cloudy. Where I live now I mixed up a gallon and it went cloudy immediately. I don't know how much I will keep on hand.

Latest posts

Back