Star San convert with caveat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevo4361

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just brewed and my first time with Star San, read all about it on here and thought I would try it out. Was sanitizing with bleach before, and had no problems, but Star San sounded so much easier, plus no rinsing sounded awesome. I mixed a little less than 1/4 oz with a gallon, than filled a spray bottle with the solution. Than sprayed the crap out of bucket, hydrometer, aerater mixer, ect. Let sit for about 3 min or so. My question is really if Star San is that easy? Spray and go? Hoping so, and if this batch is infection free I am officially a convert.

Stevo

My question is really if Star San is that easy? Spray and go? Hoping so, and if this batch is infection free I am officially a convert.

Anything that was wet with Star San for at least 60 seconds was sanitized.

Yes, it really is that easy. I love Star San. Do not fear the foam!

Actually listened to a podcast with an interview from the maker of starsan and according to him it actually only takes 30 seconds for sanitization to take place using this product. It was a basic homebrewing podcast wish I could remember the name of the episode, it was really good and informative. He actually talks about using bleach and why and how he developed this product as well as the components which make it up.

Excellent, thanks KISS Brew. I had read over and over "do not fear the foam," so I did not. Still hard to believe but the chemistry is above my head. On an aside note, I currently flow One-Step through my stainless steel plate chiller for 30 min before using, could Star San be used for this or is it too acidic for stainless steel? Thanks,

Steve

Excellent, thanks KISS Brew. I had read over and over "do not fear the foam," so I did not. Still hard to believe but the chemistry is above my head. On an aside note, I currently flow One-Step through my stainless steel plate chiller for 30 min before using, could Star San be used for this or is it too acidic for stainless steel? Thanks,

Steve

No ill effects on stainless steel. It will definitely sanitize, but it won't remove solid gunk particles.

Oxiclean (and its various generic versions) are a good substitute for One-Step as a cleaner.

Just started using star- san as well..

Seems pretty simple enough, the only thing that is really pissing me off is it leaves things a little oily, so I am having a real tough time keeping my airlock in the carboy... Seems to keep slipping out due to the residue left by the starsan.

I have the same problem with the carboy bung. Less so with the univeral style than the solids. I found that wiping with a paper towel dipped in starsan will leave it just dry enough to stay properly in place. May not be 100% best sanitaion practice but better than finding the airlock on the floor.

Just shake off most of the Starsan wait a minute or two and it will stay. The worst I have had was to pull the stopper out and wait another minute and re-install.

I got Starsan after my second batch, just over a year ago and feel no need to try anything else.

Pretty much all you need for cleaning and sanitizing are Oxyclean and Starsan.

Link didn't work for me, but I think it's Brew Strong on The Brewing Network. Here's the Sanitizing episode with Jon Herskovits of Five Star Chemicals where he says the 30 seconds bit. I've heard that part of the certification process is that they have to say a longer time, but acceptable levels of sanitization occur in 30 seconds.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/469

Back