Stalled fermentation oopsie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtofer

Reaction score
Okay, I'm a noob. I'm making my first attempt at making mead. I got my wort all put together and fermented it for 7 days in champagne yeast. It had an original S.G. of 1.061 and fermented down to 1.003. I'm expecting a final S.G. of .992-.996. I transferred the batch to a secondary fermentor and the fermentation stalled. Today I added some yeast nutrient, yeast excellerator and here's where I really screwed up, I was suppose to add some champagne yeast (which is what I originally used) but I accidentally pitched a pack of lager yeast in there. I don't expect that the lager yeast will ruin the batch, though it could change the flavor. My question is, should I go ahead and throw the champagne yeast in as well or just let it ride and see what happens? Any advice on this would be most helpful. Thanks.

I'd pitch the champagne yeast in as well. Chances are, if the original champagne yeast couldn't finish it, the lager yeast won't either. However, if the champagne yeast stopped at 1.003 with an OG of only 1.061, I would think it's probably as low as it's going to go. Champagne yeast should easily ferment a batch with an OG of 1.1+ down to below 1.0, depending on the recipe. So, what was your recipe? Maybe you do have some unfermentables in there, so adding more yeast is just going to give you a mess at the bottom of the fermenter.

The current S.G. is 1.003. I haven't checked it in a couple days since there has been no signs of fermentation. The original recipe was 7 lbs of honey in 5 gal.

Back