Stale Black Patent Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protos

Die Schwarzbier Polizei
Reaction score
Well, I'm probably not so much of a beginner (planning my 104th brew) but still I got a very n00by question: Black Malt, Does It Get Stale?

I read that it didn't. So I've been keeping my uncrushed Black Malt, with a peace of mind, for almost 2 years in a sealed jar, using it sparingly and rarely.

Now, planning a Coffee Porter I reached for my jar again after a long time and now I certainly feel the stale odour from the malt. Which is a disappointment, I must confess. I can't just toss the malt as the local brewstore doesn't carry Black or Roasted Barley at the moment.

I've never brewed with any stale malts. So I don't really know what to expect if I used it.
Is it gonna be really really bad, so Im safer not even trying it? Or will roasty flavours overpower the stale twang at such a tiny percentage of the grist?

Sorry for such a silly question. I hope someone may have had some experience with stale black malts.

I, hesitantly, just used leftover carafa malt from 2016 in a brown ale. The beer had no off flavors that I could pick out from using the old malt. I think you'd be safe.

Don't know about malt exactly, but you can often open something and get an off whiff as the trapped air is released but once that is clear, you're fine. Go back and have a good sniff, see if you're still getting the smell.

Thank you guys, that makes me feel better about using it. No off-flavours from a 2016 malt sounds like a really convincing case.
Other than the funny whiff from the jar, the grain is crunchy and well. Probably it would make sense just to dry it up a bit in the sun.

Back