Stained nylon mesh hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjolin01

Reaction score
I used a nylon mesh hop bag on my last brew and after use and washing it still is a green color. I was wondering if there was a preferred way to wash the bags after use and if staining is normal do I need to worry about hops flavor so from previous boils affecting future boils?

I am sure it's all good and this is normal but doesn't hurt to verify my theories.

I run mine through the washing machine with no detergent, stains are a non issue, they will not effect future brews in taste, or color

I dump the used hops, give it a quick spray with the hose, let it dry, then rub it with my hands and the dry bits fall off, then spray it one more time, then reuse, I reuse my bags till the fall apart and they look scary - never had an issue.

I do the same thing with my grain bag, BIAB

I have hop sacks that were brand new get stained while doing Porters and Stouts that I still use, They are actually a nice tan color. If you are that concerned with the staining, soak it over night in PBW, rinse use and soak it again, it will eventually get close to the bright white it was when new.

Most of these pellet bags are over ten years old. If they don't have any holes they stay in rotation.
hop_bags.jpg
Chocolate stout is hell on nylon though ;)

Cheers!

Not sure if serious ;)

No need for bleach, which will likely hasten the demise of the material or the stitching. That color is stuck fast...

Cheers!

Back