Stainless Steel Hop Basket Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d40dave

Reaction score
Curretnly I use a nylon mesh hop bag that I clip onto the side of my brew kettle. It seems to clog and also overtime wears out. Does anyone have a recommendation for a stainless steel hop basket? I was wondering about what mess side to get and also there might be other considerations. Thanks.

I bought one of the stainless hop baskets, had been using the paint strainer bags, used it a time or two and noticed that hot break colleted on it and esssntially clogged it up and while the kettle was at a full boil, what was in the basket was not. I haven't used it since. I now just let them free swim and whirlpool at the end of the boil as it is chilling.

I think I'll try just throwing them in. I my try straining the wort when I transfer it to the fermenter. I have not had much success with whirlpooling. I think it has something to do with the heating element getting in the way.

Whirlpooling and the screen made by @Jaybird have completely overcome all of my issues with hop clogging and spill into the fermenter. I now go "commando" on all my hop additions in the boil and after knockout, even with big 10 oz + DIPA hop charges. Link to @Jaybird's screen:

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions....le_Spike_Brewing_v2.0_60_Quart_15_Gallon.html
The other thing this screen does now is separate my BIAB bag from the heating element in my Spike Solo+ kettle. The Solo+ stainless basket got in the way of efficiency -- a traditional bag is actually easier to manage and better for brewhouse efficiency.

Whirlpooling and the screen made by @Jaybird have completely overcome all of my issues with hop clogging and spill into the fermenter. I now go "commando" on all my hop additions in the boil and after knockout, even with big 10 oz + DIPA hop charges. Link to @Jaybird's screen:

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions....le_Spike_Brewing_v2.0_60_Quart_15_Gallon.html
The other thing this screen does now is separate my BIAB bag from the heating element in my Spike Solo+ kettle. The Solo+ stainless basket got in the way of efficiency -- a traditional bag is actually easier to manage and better for brewhouse efficiency.
Is the screen you are referring to the false bottom you have a link to?

Thanks for the shout out and the links. Yes we are building like crazy every day. Fell free to PM, Email, Call or Just throw out the BAT signal. I'll help you out.

Cheers
Jay

Back