St Bernardus Abt 12 clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe9216

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to try a great Belgium quad called St Bernardus Abt 12 which is told to be a dead ringer for a Westy 12 which I will probably never have the luxury of trying. I was wondering, before I began drying to decipher all the flavor profiles, if anyone has ever heard of or seen a clone recipe for this outstanding balanced beer? If you can I suggest getting your hands on one and giving it a shot and you will find why I'm trying to craft it myself.

I just made the Westy12 recipe. Make sure to get the D-180 candi syrup! Pretty neat stuff.... don't think I'll ever use rocks again

The D-180 is great stuff. Very nice falvor. It is worth the expense for a brew.

Awesome I'm about to brew a Belgian quadrupel using two pounds of D-180. Last year I brewed a Belgian dubbel using D-90 and it came out amazing.

I have one bottle left of AHS Belgian Abt. 12.
Sigh.

My comment on AHS: Comment by John M. P on Wednesday 18 July, 2012
First taste a bit heavier than St. Bernardus, but otherwise very close. OTOH, I used tap water and ale temperature aging, and the water and cellaring is important for St. Bernardus. No problem with single yeast vial with yeast starter.

I have one bottle left of AHS Belgian Abt. 12.
Sigh.

My comment on AHS: Comment by John M. P on Wednesday 18 July, 2012
First taste a bit heavier than St. Bernardus, but otherwise very close. OTOH, I used tap water and ale temperature aging, and the water and cellaring is important for St. Bernardus. No problem with single yeast vial with yeast starter.

You do the partial mash as your title suggest, extract or all grain? I'm assuming not AG since you mentioned water being so important.

my brother had a bottle of that the other week, said its the best thing he's ever drank, ill have to show him this thread he'd love to give it a go

i got to try Westy 12 last week in Brussels. it reminded me a *lot* of a dubbel I brewed last year (honestly!)

i think the main things are - use pilsener malt if available, use sufficient sugar to lighten the body (i used dark candi syrup to about 10% by weight) - and use the right yeast (WLP530 / the Westmalle strain, as Westvleteren get their yeast from Westmalle). re-yeast at bottling time and aim for very high levels of carbonation. job done!

Latest posts

Back