St. Arnold yeast or similar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make their x-mas ale every year for gifts. I use WLP002 as per BYO. Not sure if that's what they use, but I like it.

I don't think they use the same yeasts for all their beers. I highly doubt it. What beers are you curious about?

The DRs are even more diverse than their regular lineup (as I'm sure you already know). I haven't ever seen info on what strains they use. Maybe try dropping Brock an email. He would surely know. :)

I had a discussion recently with one of their brewers at Petrol Station. I told him I like to brew a St Arnold's brown clone - he told me the closest thing to their house yeast is WLP013 London fermented at 72F.

Ok, after doing some research, it looks like they use a house strain they call "Saint Arnold" which is a standard yeast from a bank.

From a 1998 BYO article:
"The brewery even calls its house yeast "St. Arnold." Wagner tried scores of yeasts before finding this one in a yeast bank. You could still order the yeast from the same bank, if you knew what to order. "I share everything (about recipes) but the yeast," Wagner said, smiling."

However, since the Divine Reserves typically are released twice a year, one release being a production of the winner of the last BBBB, they don't always use the house strain. Read the info on DRs here.

For their year-round beers, Lawnmower is a Kolsch, so I suspect it uses a Kolsch yeast. The Texas Wheat (being discontinued, last batch is for sale now), is an American wheat, they may use the SA yeast for this or an American wheat strain. The Texas Wheat is being replaced by Weedwhacker, which is the Lawnmower wort fermented with a Bavarian Hefeweizen strain. I could see them using the SA strain for the IPA, Brown, and Amber.

For the seasonals, Summer Pils, Oktoberfest, and Spring Bock are all lagers, so they wouldn't be using the house strain for that (or are they...). The Winter Stout and Christmas Ale are probably using the SA strain. What the strain is? I'd guess it's an English strain. The beers are malty, well attenuated, and just doesn't seem like an 001 or something of the likes.

I had a discussion recently with one of their brewers at Petrol Station. I told him I like to brew a St Arnold's brown clone - he told me the closest thing to their house yeast is WLP013 London fermented at 72F.

Are they fermenting at 72F or was the brewer saying that a homebrewer should ferment at 72F to emulate their yeast profile?

They ferment way cooler than that. Most of their brews ferment around 60 (I peek on the fermentation check sheet every time I go there. WLP5555 is the yeast they use for the brown but they use a kolsch from white labs for there lawnmower

Digging up a 4 year old thread to ask the Saint Arnold patrons if anybody thinks they have discovered the yeast through trial and error. I want to make a Saint Arnold Amber clone and thought about using s04 so I can use it in a porter and possibly pale ales for experiment (I plan on harvesting). I've used 05 a lot and like it but just want to branch out. I've seen the description for the northwest ale 1332 and pacific ale 041 strains that seem to have a similar description to what the supposed "Saint Arnold" yeast is. Anybody tried this with success? It looks like the strain is used in Amber, Brown, Porter, and IPA. Wondering if 1332 would work in all of those or if I should play it safe with s04.

Thanks

Digging up a 4 year old thread to ask the Saint Arnold patrons if anybody thinks they have discovered the yeast through trial and error. I want to make a Saint Arnold Amber clone and thought about using s04 so I can use it in a porter and possibly pale ales for experiment (I plan on harvesting). I've used 05 a lot and like it but just want to branch out. I've seen the description for the northwest ale 1332 and pacific ale 041 strains that seem to have a similar description to what the supposed "Saint Arnold" yeast is. Anybody tried this with success? It looks like the strain is used in Amber, Brown, Porter, and IPA. Wondering if 1332 would work in all of those or if I should play it safe with s04.

Thanks

Its a mutated english ale yeast. They found the yeast from a brewery in England they like and guess found a generation that works so they banked it at white/wyeast. Like most breweries use a special mutation of a standard strain that formed in their facility and use/start with it. I am not sure if they bottle condition (probably not) any of their offerings. So, getting an actual sample will be hard.

Its a mutated english ale yeast. They found the yeast from a brewery in England they like and guess found a generation that works so they banked it at white/wyeast. Like most breweries use a special mutation of a standard strain that formed in their facility and use/start with it. I am not sure if they bottle condition (probably not) any of their offerings. So, getting an actual sample will be hard.

Ah, got it. I've never been on a tour before so never heard them discuss the yeast in depth. I was thinking "proprietary" was just a smoke screen. There was a quote from an article stating that you could order it from White Labs if you knew what it was. In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter. Being able to replicate it would be awesome.

They order yeast from White Labs and Brewing Science. Could be banked at either one. I think any English strain would get you close.

Latest posts

Back