SS Chronical fermenter - Cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking at the product description of the SS Chronical fermenter, and it says cooling is possible using a digital temperature controller.

From the product description:
“A weldless thermowell allows for easy temperature monitoring and control. Use a Ranco or Johnson Digital Temperature Controller with the Chronical fermentor to dial your fermenter’s temperature in to the degree.”

I don’t fully understand... Can you stick the temp controller INTO the thermowell and use it that way? Thanks for advice!

Jackson

So if you were to buy some sort of temp controller, like this one, it has outlets to plug in (2) things. It also has a temperature probe attached.

upload_2020-3-13_12-35-19.png

The way it works is you...
- Stick the temp probe into the thermowell. This will monitor temp and tell your inkbird that I linked above what to do.
-In one of the outlets on the inkbird, you plug in some sort of heater, like this.
-Ideally, in the other outlet, you plug in something like a chest freezer or a glycol chiller.
-You then program the inkbird to maintain a certain temperature. When the temp falls below what you programmed, it'll kick on the heater. When it gets above what you programmed, it'll kick on the cooling device, whatever that is.

So no, it doesn't do it on it's own. There are other pieces of equipment you would need to take advantage of that.

I’m looking at the product description of the SS Chronical fermenter, and it says cooling is possible using a digital temperature controller.

Hey Jack,

What size is the fermenter you are looking at buying bud?

If it is one of the smaller ones, the best option for cooling as Rob has outlined above is probably an old fridge/freezer as you can pick these up for next to nothing. It just requires you to lift it in and out of it.

I have 2 fridges setup as fermentation chambers with two separate controllers. For the heating, one just has a lightbulb on a bayonet fitting (I cover this so the light doesnt affect the beer, if you have a SS fermenter you shouldn't have to worry about that), the other has a standard heat pad sitting in the fridge. Both work well, and I can really dial in the temperatures I am wanting to ferment at.

If you are looking at one of the larger fermenters, one that wont fit in a fridge, then a glycol chiller unit may be the way to go, but that can start to get expensive

I see. Digital temp controller does not do the work of cooling. It is just a probe used to monitor temp, then control some cooling unit (fridge/tank) in which the fermenter is stored. I’m hoping to find a way of cooling the ferm tank without putting it in a fridge, and without spending $1k on glycol unit. Do jackets work at all to keep temps down?

I see. Digital temp controller does not do the work of cooling. It is just a probe used to monitor temp, then control some cooling unit (fridge/tank) in which the fermenter is stored. I’m hoping to find a way of cooling the ferm tank without putting it in a fridge, and without spending $1k on glycol unit. Do jackets work at all to keep temps down?
Yup that's how it works. I'd highly recommend using an inkbird with a chest freezer and brew belts. I can ferment (2) 10 gallon batches at a time at separate temperatures. It set me back around $220 for all the equiptment but is well worth it. You can definitely use a jacket that you fill with ice for cheaper but it's less precise and requires more upkeep. All are viable options, it just depends on your price range.
1584240399888.jpeg
1584240483711.jpeg

Jackets insulate to help maintain a temp. They slowly resist change. They dont do anything to cool or heat. You'll have to have some sort of cooling unit like a fridge, glycol chiller, brewjacket, cooling coil wrap fermstik etc. Theres a ton of products out there of varying costs. You can also make a DIY chiller for very little. Either way, you need something.

I decided on the Brewtech FtSs. Wondering now about the airlock/blowoff hole in the lid. Does anyone have experience with this system? Do I need to purchase a separate barn to add into that hole for a blowoff tube, or does it come with that?

I decided on the Brewtech FtSs. Wondering now about the airlock/blowoff hole in the lid. Does anyone have experience with this system? Do I need to purchase a separate barn to add into that hole for a blowoff tube, or does it come with that?

If you download the quick start guide on SSBrewtech's website, it'll tell you there. I've copied it here...

upload_2020-3-17_13-54-32.png

Looks like you just need 1/2" silicone tubing unless you want to buy the stainless blowoff cane. It says the lid cap and 1/2" barb is included so you should be good.

Back