SS Brewtech Brewbucket O-Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchLiebeBier

Reaction score
All,
I've got two brewbuckets with the thermowell and valve holes. I've noticed that the O-Rings just BARELY surround the holes. If you don't get it placed just right, it could leak.

I've been trying to find another food safe o-ring that is wider (thicker) than the ones provided, but I've not had any luck.

Has anyone used a wider o-ring with any success?

Thanks.

Following. Their O Ring system is not the best. It can be pretty finicky and you need just the right amount of pressure or they leak. Too little and too much and they leak...I've finally figured it out after 4 years of using them, but many times I was messing with the rings after already dumping in wort!

Yep. I filled it up past the thermowell with water and let it sit overnight. Since it didn't leak, I proceeded to sanitize it without moving the parts and put the wort in. No leaks so far, but I had to play with it to get the seals right in the first place.

If you buy thicker ones, they won't deform.
I guess, although I haven't tried that. I would be worried though that the thicker rings may not settle properly into the concave nuts.

To be honest I think mine leaked once. The biggest issue I've had with the Ss Brewbuckets is the diptube o-rings shredding on me. Finally figured out that with a bit of keg lube they stay intact much better.

I guess, although I haven't tried that. I would be worried though that the thicker rings may not settle properly into the concave nuts.

To be honest I think mine leaked once. The biggest issue I've had with the Ss Brewbuckets is the diptube o-rings shredding on me. Finally figured out that with a bit of keg lube they stay intact much better.
You only need an o-ring on the valve side. There is no need for one one the inside.

You only need an o-ring on the valve side. There is no need for one one the inside.
that's what they say, but I tried it, and it scratched up the inside of the fermenter with only light hand tightening.

Thanks for info, BTW.

Back