SS Brewtech FTS Coil/Lid Seal Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvpeacock

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two SS Brewtech 7 gallon Chronical fermenters with the FTS2 cooling and heating system + an SS Brewtech Glycol chiller. Recently, I have been experiencing air leaks in the seal between the coil and the lid. I have tried tightening the nut on top of the lid, have tried using keg lube on the o-rings and have tried replacing the old o-rings (16mm x 1.8 mm) under the lid and on top of the lid with little success. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Can I or should I use larger o-rings? If so, what size (thicker or wider? Under the lid or on top of the lid?) Below is a picture of one of my Chronical/FTS lids with hoses. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
FTS.jpg

Sounds like you’ve done all I have to suggest.

I’m reaching with these ideas, but maybe something to try.

1- Check you’re not tightening too much. You could possibly be biting into the o-ring causing it to come out of place if you go too tight.

2- Make sure your glycol lines aren’t torquing the stem coming out. Maybe if too much pull is on the line it’s causing the leak?

I'm really reaching here, but are your lids perfectly flat? Even if they aren't, that gasket and four spring clamps should be forming an air tight seal. If you can find an area that's slightly raised when the lid is placed on a flat surface, trying clamping the lid exactly at that spot. That gasket can be a real *****-kitty to get installed correctly, but I'm assuming you already realize that. ;)

You could try pressurizing to 2 psig, then spray a soapy solution or Star San around the lid seal and check for bubbles. Are you sure you aren't loosing pressure around the glycol line connectors? The photo sure looks like clean connections, but who knows. A little pressure and some type of foaming agent should be able to spot where any leak is fairly quickly.

I have an IPA fermenting in one now and discovered the leak when I did not see any bubbles in the airlock after 48 hours. I sprayed starsan on all the possible leak sources and it only bubbled where the nut and o-ring on the coil attached it to the lid. Interestingly enough, after I sprayed the starsan, the airlock started bubbling away, so the starsan itself was enough to seal the leak.

I think you may be right and the glycol lines are putting pressure on the coil and tilting it slightly. Once this batch is done fermenting, I will check it for alignment. In the meantime, I've ordered some thicker o-rings to see if that gives me a better fit without having to crank the nuts down too tight.

Back