SR-4911M hissing sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a mini fridge off craigslist for 130 dollars. It is slightly used but in good physical condition overall. When I transported it home it was lying on its side. I let it sit upright for 24 hours to let everything settle. I plugged it in and turned the fridge on and...along with the compressor noises...I was also hearing a hissing. I was just wondering if that was normal. I know when people cut holes in the fridge and hit a line they hear hissing but I was imagining it would be instant hissing (not after you plug it in)? For those of you that own the Sanyo model is this a normal sound you hear? Sorry if this is a repost.

Thank you!

Cold plate is very cold. cold enough to collect condensation. So i am guessing that is

A. a good sign. and

B. I am being paranoid about new sounds in the house.

I'll check back if there are any problems but seems like the fridge just needed to be warmed up a bit, I think it was in storage for a while. Thanks for helping me be brave!

Wishing you the best!

By the way, If you intend to mount a draft tower on the top, Please let us know BEFORE you do any drilling/cutting. I've done a few and there are some things to be aware of.

DSC00376.JPG

Cold plate is very cold. cold enough to collect condensation. So i am guessing that is

A. a good sign. and

B. I am being paranoid about new sounds in the house.

I'll check back if there are any problems but seems like the fridge just needed to be warmed up a bit, I think it was in storage for a while. Thanks for helping me be brave!
NEVER by a refrigerator or freezer that is not plugged in and operating when you get there to look at it. When I was looking I had several people on the Craigs Liars tell me to 'forget it'.

You know I totally agree with you Hermit, except for some occasions. The man had his entire family with him when we met and we talked for a solid 15 minutes (which is a lot in Minnesota during winter) about brewing. Plus I had his phone number and work number and address, so I wouldn't mess with anyone with that information, I'm sure he was thinking the same :) I definitely did deal with some shady emails though which I definitely ignored right away.

Wishing you the best!

By the way, If you intend to mount a draft tower on the top, Please let us know BEFORE you do any drilling/cutting. I've done a few and there are some things to be aware of.

DSC00376.JPG

I will DEFINITELY be putting a new thread when i install the dual tower, first I need to buy one. I don't trust myself with...well, myself. Will be getting lots of help from you experienced ones :mug:

Latest posts

Back