co2 system faint hiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CentralNJBrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

Situation is this;

I have a kegorator set up with a 4way secondary co2 dispenser, as pictured below...

c02.jpg

What I am hearing from this 4way regulator is a slight hiss (not a keg filling hiss. Much quieter).

If it helps;

- I can hear it along the whole regulator. I also noticed this slight hiss near my primary regulator on the co2 tank.

- My ear tells me it is a little more intense near the far side ( right side of the picture) dial, but not that much more

- That little piece you see on the far side is a 'plug' I made. I accidentally ordered a continuous regulator.

- The only keg I have hooked up to this secondary regulator at the moment is coming out of the far side

- This said keg I force carbed at 30 psi a few days ago

- I was using a 12psi serving pressure when I noticed this little hissing problem

- As mentioned earlier, when I hooked up the keg at 12psi, the system made a ‘louder’ hissing sound before it trailed off after about 30 seconds. This, as far as I am concerned, was to be expected as the keg equalized (I think that’s the correct term). After the ‘louder’ hiss went away, I noticed this ‘slighter’ hissing. I have not touched the relief valve on the keg during this ordeal.

- I did the soap and water trick on any and every potential connection on the system. The plug too! I actually discovered a leak on the white co2 keg connector. After I rectified that and thought I was triumphant, the system was still hissing slightly

- I never noticed this before, but I’m just going to chalk that up to my ear not being as trained

- I let it sit for about 45 minutes, and my primary regulator dial didn't move. Don't know if that would have been enough time to make the regulator dial move though

My questions are;

Is this ‘slight’ hissing sound normal?
I’m hoping it could just be gas and/or keg physics doing their thing?

OR

“It should be silent. You got a leak buddy. Look harder.”
Maybe it could be a busted regulator piece or something like that?

OR

Something else entirely?

Thank you all for any help.

I've heard that same hiss and concluded it is coming from the refrigerant in the keezer lines when the compressor shuts off and it runs back to the reservoir. I looked for a leak obsessively to the point of submerging my entire system in the bath tub and never found one.

Hook everything up, charge it to some PSI, shut off the gas at the tank only. Let it sit at a constant temperature overnight (assuming your beer is already carbonated and stable). If your needle doesn't move after THAT, you don't have a leak unless its at the interface of the tank and regulator.

[...]
Hook everything up, charge it to some PSI, shut off the gas at the tank only. Let it sit at a constant temperature overnight (assuming your beer is already carbonated and stable). If your needle doesn't move after THAT, you don't have a leak unless its at the interface of the tank and regulator.

I would do exactly ^that^ but without any kegs connected...

Cheers!

Thanks mad king and daytrppr. Applied your advice past weekend, and def a leak somewhere. Didn't have time to fully investigate though. Will do thorough inspection hopefully tonight.

Just wanted to check back in an say I found the leak, and must thank Madking for suggesting this...

...I looked for a leak obsessively to the point of submerging my entire system in the bath tub...

I unhooked the whole the whole regulator from my door, and did a more thorough soap and water check. Still no bubbling.

Then decided to try the submersion technique. Started bubbling big time.

Turns out the leak was coming somewhere from inside one of the gauges. I unscrewed it and saw all 'clockwork'. A little too advanced for me, so I just ordered a new gauge, and leak fixed.

Just wanted to check back in an say I found the leak, and must thank Madking for suggesting this...

I unhooked the whole the whole regulator from my door, and did a more thorough soap and water check. Still no bubbling.

Then decided to try the submersion technique. Started bubbling big time.

Turns out the leak was coming somewhere from inside one of the gauges. I unscrewed it and saw all 'clockwork'. A little too advanced for me, so I just ordered a new gauge, and leak fixed.

Awesome! Glad you found it

Back