spunding valve help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
I've never used a spunding valve before an just brewed a batch of beer, and decided to use it on my fermentasurus, and I attached it to the gas after pressure and it was over the 15 psi on the spunding valve which worries me its not gonna let pressure off during fermentation? Do you twist the end to lower the psi it blows off at?

Yes - on a typical spunding valve you twist the end anti-clockwise to lower the pressure that it opens at. Ideally, if you have a spare keg, pressurise the keg to 15psi then attach the spunding valve and open the valve until you just start to hear CO2 coming through, then tighten until the point that you hear the flow of CO2 stop. Then your valve should be set about right to go on the fermentasaurus.

Yes - on a typical spunding valve you twist the end anti-clockwise to lower the pressure that it opens at. Ideally, if you have a spare keg, pressurise the keg to 15psi then attach the spunding valve and open the valve until you just start to hear CO2 coming through, then tighten until the point that you hear the flow of CO2 stop. Then your valve should be set about right to go on the fermentasaurus.
I've been trying to twist it I think its stuck I'm assuming it's meant to blow at 15psi regardless? But the other day when it was set at 14psi i went to bed checked it today and its at about 12 psi but beer is in the catch can even tho the butterfly valve was closed

I’m doing my first spund. Its been three weeks total. After two weeks I turned it up to build pressure. Yesterday it made it too 16lbs and today it was down to 15.5lbs. i used antifoam and got no foam blowing off thru valve. In a few days I’ll move to keezer and crash it with gas at serving pressure. Thats the plan anyway.

Back