Spring pruning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PodunkPorter

Reaction score
I have a second year centennial hop plant, and it has taken off and put out probably a dozen bull shopts. But the problem is that the plant was left to die back last year and was never cut down, so the shoots are coming from the old branches above the ground. Should I cut all of that down, or just the shoots back down to the old dead steams?

If new shoots are growing, if it were me, I'd cut the old ones and let it start anew. IDK what zone you're in but it should be early enough in the season that you should be ok.

I also would cut it all back (old and new) and let it start anew. I think you’ll find the second growth will be much more healthy and productive.

On the new growth after cutting it completely back, should I pick the best 4 shoots to keep and train up the rope, and cut all others back? Cause I just cut like 25 shoots off of just 1 plant.

Back