Splitting batch/racking question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
I'm making a Belgian blond, and I intend to rack half of the batch onto fruit (chokecherries). My noob question is: should I wait until the beer is fully fermented out, and then rack one half onto fruit in a secondary, and bottle the second half? Or should I rack the "fruit half" of the batch into secondary before the primary is fully completed, and keep the other half in primary until it's fermented out fully?

I always let the beer ferment all the way out in primary before racking onto fruit. The yeast will start up again after you rack onto the fruit, when they find the simple fruit sugars. I believe this is the standard practice, too.

Belgian Blond with chokecherries sounds interesting! I had a bottle of chokecherry wine that Yooper gave me recently and it was delicious.

Thanks for the answer! It will be my first fruit beer, and it's a bit of an experiment, hope it turns out drinkable.

Back