Splash free mat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTfireman

Reaction score
So this is a little random, but I am looking for a splash free mat to put under the taps of my keezer. I am currently using a rubber mat, which is easy to clean, but it still splashes when drops hit it. This causes the lower front of my kegerator to look dirty. I have a Cinco de Mayo party coming up and I'd like my keezer to maintain a clean look throughout the party. I am afraid to drill a drip tray into the front of the keezer, and I don't really want to anyway, since my kegerator has a design painted on the front. I have considered a normal front porch mat, but I was afraid it would get soggy or stain.

So, have any of you found a good mat that doesn't splash or get soggy or stained?

I believe these are pretty normal, but pubs in my country have plastic mats which are sort of a "frame" with a bottom, and inside there are hundreds of these little plastic "pegs", it prevents some splashing, but it's mainly to place a beer on, and excess foam/beer etc is not spilled onto the counter.

Edit: I found an example, it's called a barmat:
barmat.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=barmat&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=X3f-6bvUyDPTeM%3A%2Cai4RTt6CGyK_wM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRPc5z0rWpFnckvLGFFhiQr-rqchg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbnYKQiOnhAhUslIsKHavJApsQ9QEwAXoECAgQBg#imgrc=X3f-6bvUyDPTeM:

Last edited:
You might not like how this looks, but I'll often just put some paper towel under the faucets to catch the last drips. It keeps the drip tray clean so that if I have guests I can simply toss the paper towel and voila! Crystal clean drip tray.

It's not going to work if you're having a lot of beer hitting it, but for a few drips it works great.

keezer10.jpg
papertowel.jpg

You might not like how this looks, but I'll often just put some paper towel under the faucets to catch the last drips. It keeps the drip tray clean so that if I have guests I can simply toss the paper towel and voila! Crystal clean drip tray.

It's not going to work if you're having a lot of beer hitting it, but for a few drips it works great.

View attachment 623693 View attachment 623694

That's one might fine keezer!

But thb I feel like a barmat which I linked to above actually would look better than paper towel. You just pour it out when you feel like it, as it can hold some liquid. Maybe takes some balancing though to get it to the sink without spilling, our you can bring a bucket to the keezer. You can get them with logos aswell.

View attachment 623693 View attachment 623694

Mongoose, are those just magnets holding your drip tray up? Can you set a beer on it? I’ve considered magnets for a temporary drip tray, but have been afraid it wouldn’t hold a beer if someone set one on it.

Mongoose, are those just magnets holding your drip tray up? Can you set a beer on it? I’ve considered magnets for a temporary drip tray, but have been afraid it wouldn’t hold a beer if someone set one on it.

Here's a thread where I describe the details:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/drip-tray-for-keezer.626419/

I have several posts in it explaining.

I originally had the blue keezer, which had chalkboard paint on it to cover up dings and dents. It was a rough surface, and the magnets didn't slide a tall.

Blue keezer died in service of my beer, so I bought another freezer and that's the second one. The sides are gloss-smooth, so the magnets are a little more likely to drift, but that can be addressed by either putting sticky-sandpaper behind them (such as you'd use on a palm sander), or supporting them on the bottom with the really heavy-duty magnets shown here:

driptraymagnet.jpg driptraymagnets.jpg driptrayweight.jpg

The third pic shows an 8# container of lead being held up by the magnets. On the new keezer I expect I'll support those big paper-towel-holder things with the small magnets underneath to keep them from drifting.

I really like the approach as it prevents me from having to drill holes in the side of the freezer.

Latest posts

Back