Spill pan for conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just looking for suggestions if anyone has some sort of drip tray or pan they use under their fermenters. Mainly for when I am taking samples and spraying out the valve with ISO afterwards, it's starting to stain my floor. I have a Spike CF10, so it would need to fit that footprint with a bit extra space. Also needs to be nice and flat, I looked at restaurant bus trays, but the ridges on the inside would worry me with the conical's casters.

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone with a 3 vessel electric brewery on a stainless table have a creative solution to catching all the liquid that drips out when disconnecting hoses, feel free to post them! I've always struggled to figure out an elegant solution other than just holding a little cup under the connections for a couple seconds.

If you can't come up with something better you can make large floor pans out of inexpensive FRP panels available at HD or Lowes. I made one for my brew rig by cutting to size then forming the perimeter sides and pop-riveting the corners...

1682472141921.jpeg

Cheers!

I don't leave it under my conical permanently, but I use one of these collapsible plastic bins under my valves when I do transfers or dumps to catch the sanitizer I spray or the trub/hops I dump:

Collapsible Bin

Works like a charm and folds slim to store when I'm not using it.

I don't leave it under my conical permanently, but I use one of these collapsible plastic bins under my valves when I do transfers or dumps to catch the sanitizer I spray or the trub/hops I dump:

Collapsible Bin

That's a cool pan. I use a similar plastic pan but mine isn't collapsible. But I use mine for holding and cleaning the attachments also.

Collapsible Bin

Just looking for suggestions if anyone has some sort of drip tray or pan they use under their fermenters. Mainly for when I am taking samples and spraying out the valve with ISO afterwards, it's starting to stain my floor. I have a Spike CF10, so it would need to fit that footprint with a bit extra space. Also needs to be nice and flat, I looked at restaurant bus trays, but the ridges on the inside would worry me with the conical's casters.

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone with a 3 vessel electric brewery on a stainless table have a creative solution to catching all the liquid that drips out when disconnecting hoses, feel free to post them! I've always struggled to figure out an elegant solution other than just holding a little cup under the connections for a couple seconds.
Hi, I use a membrane of an expansionvessel

Add one more suggestion, I use these type of bins, below. You see them in restaurants when someone clears a table. They are sold all around and Amazon has a selection of different sizes and colors. I have two I use for cleaning and sanitizing small parts like all of the pieces that detach from my CF10. The picture below is a set of two I picked up at Sam's Club. They fit perfectly in my brew sink and hold five gallons of liquid. I also have a larger one I keep my electric pressure washer in so I don't have spilled liquid all about. Many, many uses around the home besides the brewery!
1682685360875.png

Go to the big box home store that begins with L and go to the garden section. There, they have trays for under big planters for veggies. they're shallow, but just deep enough to catch stuff. I use one inside my stand up freezer (temp controlled fermentation/cold crash vessel) and it all but covers the entire floor of it. Catches drips from the beer drain as well as the TC dump port without moving it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-17-24-in-Rust-Plastic-Plant-Saucer/50438776

1st post since old account was lost from years ago...

Go to the big box home store that begins with L and go to the garden section. There, they have trays for under big planters for veggies.
And the best part is how much this will piss off the veggie growers when they can't find any trays to go with the planters that they want to buy. 🤣

If you can't come up with something better you can make large floor pans out of inexpensive FRP panels available at HD or Lowes. I made one for my brew rig by cutting to size then forming the perimeter sides and pop-riveting the corners...

View attachment 818551

Cheers!
How hard was it to bend the corners on that?

Panels are sort of expensive for just a single smaller pan. But for a really big pan like that, that's a great idea. Very nice setup there btw.

I also like T Murph's trays at Tractor Supply, but good luck searching for them on the website to see if they've got em in the local store....

It really wasn't difficult to form the tray. Starting from one corner and working around the perimeter I applied modest heat with a gun then folded and pressed with a chunk of soft wood to flatten the bends. Drilled 1/8" holes in the folded corners for aluminum pop rivets with backing washers and it was done in around an hour...

Cheers!

Back