Spike's upcoming eBIAB system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhnmdahl

Reaction score
Per an update from Spike, the release date appears to have slipped from Q1 to "late spring", in a 20 gallon with smaller sizes for five gallon brewers like me to follow. The have released a couple photos which shows how the basket design in particular has progressed, so I thought I'd share them in a post:

spikebiab.png
spikebiab2.png

I signed up for updates. Looks like it has potential. I like the recirc port going into the basket so that you don't lose potential boil volume in the kettle.

SS Brewtech has been claiming an upcoming release of an eBIAB rig for over a year now. I waited as long as I could, but ultimately just got an Auber Cube controller and an adcraft induction burner. It's amazing how long the R&D process takes for these....

What will they use for a controller? Will it be an automated process ala Brewboss or total manual?

I would guess they'll be using something similar to Electric Brew Supply's 30A BIAB Panel. Electric Brew Supply builds the panels for all their other electric systems.

I’m thinking about selling the brew-boss and getting one of these. The panels look nice.

I was thinking they would go smaller on the control system for a single vessel unit - something like a BrewCommander in size.

If I didn't have the panel from Electric Brew Supply and the Brew Commander was out when I was looking I probably would have went for the Brew Commander.

I subscribed for updates. One question does the basket have a way of draining without using a mounted pulley rig?

Curious too. How does the basket suspend? I'm sure Spike is working that into the design so looking forward to seeing. I doubt a pully system would be easy to manage with the handles on the side instead of a bucket handle.

I have an SS brewtech 1V and 10 gallon ekettle for biab
I am wondering if this basket would work with my kettle. I Iike the SS kettle, element, and controller.

Alternatively I could buy the Spike eBIAB and have the element tc replaced with a 2" tc and use my SS element in the Spike kettle.

Here are a few details on the system:
  • Initially, the system will be available in a 20 gallon configuration (20g kettle/10g batches). The estimated launch is in spring of 2020, with a pre-sale before that.
  • Additional 10 gallon and 15 gallon options will follow soon after the launch.
  • The 20 gallon system is controlled by a 240V electrical panel.
  • You can purchase the full single-vessel system, or you can choose the basket-only option – it will fit all standard Spike Kettles without modification!
  • It will be available in both NPT and TC options.
The 20 gallon basket is designed to fit more competitor kettles, as well.​

That design looks similar to the Unibrau system and I'm sure it's not going to be cheap.

I thought the same thing, especially after seeing this (LINK)

Between the two, I like how the grain basket is bigger with Spike's. I have no need for such a setup (still enjoying my v3 kettles), but I have a friend of mine who's interested.

Personally I want another one of their conicals. ;)

Here are a few details on the system:
  • Initially, the system will be available in a 20 gallon configuration (20g kettle/10g batches). The estimated launch is in spring of 2020, with a pre-sale before that.
  • Additional 10 gallon and 15 gallon options will follow soon after the launch.
  • The 20 gallon system is controlled by a 240V electrical panel.
  • You can purchase the full single-vessel system, or you can choose the basket-only option – it will fit all standard Spike Kettles without modification!
  • It will be available in both NPT and TC options.
The 20 gallon basket is designed to fit more competitor kettles, as well.​
This definitely sounds interesting! I've been considering building a "malt pipe" from an existing stainless kettle, but I'd rather not have to get out the angle grinder if Spike will offer their baskets in sizes to fit other kettles on the market (e.g. 22 gallon BrewBuilt).

I'd like to get a basket / "malt pipe" for my Blichmann 15 gallon kettle. Ideally it would have a smaller diameter near the bottom to fit inside a boilcoil to allow grain to get to the bottom of the kettle.

I subscribed for updates. One question does the basket have a way of draining without using a mounted pulley rig?

Curious too. How does the basket suspend? I'm sure Spike is working that into the design so looking forward to seeing. I doubt a pully system would be easy to manage with the handles on the side instead of a bucket handle.

I asked them this a few weeks ago and they said they were still working on the details. I suspect they already have it figured out but they didn't want to commit to anything just yet. I was in the midst of getting a 15 gallon kettle designed for eBIAB with them when they announced this so I put that on hold since I much prefer the integrated basket idea than what I was planning. I had several questions about the design and they said they were still in the design/testing phase. I'll follow up with them maybe in a few more weeks to see if they got anything finalized yet.

Once they get the design finalized, I plan to order the kettle and just get the basket whenever they launch it for 15 gallons.

I asked them this a few weeks ago and they said they were still working on the details. I suspect they already have it figured out but they didn't want to commit to anything just yet. I was in the midst of getting a 15 gallon kettle designed for eBIAB with them when they announced this so I put that on hold since I much prefer the integrated basket idea than what I was planning. I had several questions about the design and they said they were still in the design/testing phase. I'll follow up with them maybe in a few more weeks to see if they got anything finalized yet.

Once they get the design finalized, I plan to order the kettle and just get the basket whenever they launch it for 15 gallons.

I've been messaging back and forth as well with them. I think they want to release a lot of data on their own terms. Nothing wrong with that, but I want to know damnit lol.. I was asking price point and some design details, but they said similar in response. I have a feeling they are farther along than being let on since they are mentioning spring release. I'm psyched to see the final product and they are keeping my attention by withholding info lol.. Touche Spike....... Touche :)

Wonder if the basket will fit their v3 kettles (what I have). Heck, I wonder if it would fit other kettles like my 10 gallon Bayou Classic. It would be nice to ditch the false bottom I have for that.

Wonder if the basket will fit their v3 kettles (what I have). Heck, I wonder if it would fit other kettles like my 10 gallon Bayou Classic. It would be nice to ditch the false bottom I have for that.

It’ll fit our previous kettles. We’ll be releasing info on min/max dimensions the basket will fit in soon!

It's a good thing that it will fit other existing kettles. Between Spike and SS Brewtech, I put things on hold for over a year. Im in my new house with 240v 50 service wired in and just decided to move forward with my own eBIAB solution.

If the spike basket looks like it'll work with my rig and be an improvement, I may pick one up, but the price will have to be competitive with what i can do from Utah biodiesel.

Basket dimensions are out now. Looks like it indeed will fit ssbrewtech kettles as well.

It wasn't immediately clear to me how the basket hook system will work though.

It looks like maybe you put a rod system across the top of the kettle and it rests on it.

I saw that and was wondering as well. There has to be another piece based on the blueprint and the fact it works with other kettles, so the kettle itself cannot be modified for a different structure.

Has anyone thought about how to use this with a steam condensing unit? Since the recirc inlet is in the basket, I'm thinking the steam outlet would need to be on the lid.

Has anyone thought about how to use this with a steam condensing unit? Since the recirc inlet is in the basket, I'm thinking the steam outlet would need to be on the lid.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm hoping they've considered it. You wouldn't have to do much research around here to figure a triclamp on the lid would be a good idea. At least offer it as an option since one of the primary drivers for going electric is to brew indoors.

I had an email conversation with someone at Spike about 2 weeks ago, where they stated:
We'll be introducing a line of steam condenser lids for our kettles in the near future (before summer)! Stay tuned on social media for updates regarding this as well.
Something to the same effect was also said in a comment reply on their Facebook. I can't wait!

I know! I am planning an upgrade on my system which includes replacing my BIAB bag with the Spike basket and adding the steam condenser. I've got a 10 gal Spike kettle that I use on an induction cooktop. I'm hoping that these upgrades will make for the ultimate indoor small scale brewing system.

Please, Spike Brewing, DON'T MAKE US WAIT ANY LONGER!

I know! I am planning an upgrade on my system which includes replacing my BIAB bag with the Spike basket and adding the steam condenser. I've got a 10 gal Spike kettle that I use on an induction cooktop. I'm hoping that these upgrades will make for the ultimate indoor small scale brewing system.

Sitting in front of this right now!
20200307_091004.jpg

208. I ran it at 240 for one brew (no cube) and it worked great. Today was test run of a step mash with the cube....it didn't like what the cube was doing while holding temp.

I see. Thanks

So you used the cube to control mash temps by cycling your Adcraft on and off, and you weren't happy with the results? Could you elaborate on that? I've been looking to do the exact same thing

Sitting in front of this right now!
View attachment 669794
Not to thread jack but do either of you have links to more details on your system? I’ve been thinking about going electric and wondering if I could manage with an induction hot plate or go the full electric kettle route.

Back