Spike Solo vs. Brew Boss vs. BrewTools B80

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidelity101

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been searching for days trying to decide between these systems and I'd really like to hear feedback from people who have experience with each. From what I've been able to find:

BrewTools is amazing but instructions in English are hard to find and it's a very complicated system with a large learning curve. It's also the most expensive and doesn't seem to have a Steam Condenser lid as an option.

Spike Solo is a very basic system (no wifi, bluetooth, etc.) but it's very well built and has an optional Steam Condenser lid which is both expensive and hard to find in stock.

Brew Boss looks to be very capable with more features than the Spike Solo but less than the BrewTools. The only thing I'm not sure I like is that voice system stepping me through each function which makes me wonder if the voice can be turned off or changed.

I know there are several YouTube videos going over each system and how wonderful they are. There is also a YouTube video comparing the actual specs for each item. But what I'd like to find is a user who has brewed several times with each (or at least 2) of the systems and which one they prefer using.

I think that's a pretty big ask, and you are only likely to get such a comprehensive perspective from a retailer or a v-blogger.

That said, I have looked at the BrewTools and while they have serious bling going on, it is also a wort-oxidizing machine. Just look at that sparge/recirc manifold. Plus, they use non-standard TCs.

Another point, the Spike controller uses off the shelf components. The others are proprietary. I don't know anything about the proprietary controllers, but if they require an internet connection to a cloud service, run away. Ask the Zymatic owners, owners of several BBQ controllers, and any number of cloud-based devices backed by smaller companies. On the BBQ controllers, its become a holiday tradition for the cloud services to go down.

All great points. I've started to walk away from the BrewTools because the price is darn near $3k and that doesn't include a Steam Condenser.

The Brew Boss still looks nice but I just can't get over the lack of Youtube videos from anyone other than Darin Danelski. He does mention the oxidizing concerns on his website and attempts to disprove them as a problem but I'm a bit more concerned about yet another electronic item (Android Tablet) I have to keep updated when my PC works perfectly well with Brewfather.

I'm currently running a Brewzilla 35L and it's been a solid setup for 5 gallon batches. It would definitely be easier to just get the Brewzilla 65L and continue with what I know but the quality between Spike and Brewzilla isn't even close. Spike is 304 stainless steel and this Brewzilla is ... is it aluminum? I washed it out with ABW a few days ago and came back to some serious white powder at the bottom (corrosion) that needed to be cleaned out so I did a thorough cleaning with kegworks No-rinse followed by Bar Keepers friends to remove all the residue from the last 10-15 batches. It's now spotless and working on batch 16.

On the other hand, I could buy 3 Brewzilla 65L setups at the cost of the one Spike setup.

I have had the Brew-Boss setup for about 2 years now and I wouldn't go any other way.

It speaks to your through the tablet which you can turn off or just turn the volume down/off.

Spike Solo is nice, but it really doesn't impress me in the whole. If I were going with their kettle/basket and another controller/accessories it would be better (High Gravity actually is doing that now).
Brewtools is nice, but I don't think it's worth the price and I am really not sure what it does or doesn't have that the Brew-Boss does or doesn't.

The Spike Solo seemed like the perfect next purchase after grabbing their CF5 fermenter and seeing the quality of their products first hand. Unfortunately they still don’t have the condensation lid in stock (and won’t until September) and their controller does seem a bit lackluster for the 2k purchase price.

If I went with the Brew Boss, would you recommend the 15 or 20 gallon setup for 5 and 10 gallon batches? I usually do 5 gallon batches when working on a recipe but once it’s dialed in I want to be able to make a 10 gallon batch so I can share the brew with friends.

If I went with the Brew Boss, would you recommend the 15 or 20 gallon setup for 5 and 10 gallon batches? I usually do 5 gallon batches when working on a recipe but once it’s dialed in I want to be able to make a 10 gallon batch so I can share the brew with friends.

The 15 Gallon kettle is perfect for 5 gallon batches and the occasional 10 gallon batch.
If you are going to be doing 10 gallon batches all the time I would go with the 20 Gallon kettle, but I don't think they recommend brewing 5 gallon batches in the 20 gallon kettle.

I was in the same position a few months back, researching all I could on the single vessel systems for brewing 10 gallon batches. Ultimately, I did go with the Brewtools B80. Yes it is expensive, no denying that. I spent roughly $3,200 for the main system and all of the accessories I wanted. Then paid roughly $130 for import duties. All that said, the things that sold me are....
  • Bottom draining port for easy cleanup (system sits in one place, no tipping or moving necessary)
  • Low density heating elements, which you can adjust the amperage of in the software, so not to scorch
  • 6kw of heating capability (if you go for the 240v option...definitely recommend this)
  • Completely configurable, with lots of ways to set it up
  • Fully welded in / out ports
  • The integrated pump is super solid, and primes easily (I had issues with this on my march pumps on previous system)
  • All parts are replaceable if necessary (everything is super sturdy and welded incredibly well)
  • The controller, while not capable yet, will have Brewfather integration. All recipes can be uploaded to the B80 for semi-automated brewing.
A couple of the things that I don't like...
  • They use a 34mm triclamp instead of 50.5mm (1.5 in). This makes me organize my triclamps for by CF10s separate from by B80
    • They do have a 34mm to 50.5mm adapter, which is super helpful
  • The screen is positioned low on the system, and while you can get an extender kit to move it, it's at an additional cost
Overall, I'm quite happy with the purchase. I hadn't heard of any wort-oxidization issues, and lots of users on the facebook group are making high quality wort. I'm certain you can create great wort on all of the systems.

Here's a good comparison of systems. I don't believe the Brew Boss is included, but there's lots of info out on there on it...

Best of luck with your decision. Hard to go wrong when you get anything new and shiny :)

Yeah I went brewtools a long time ago and dont regret it at all. I went 120v and will go 240 in the future, yes the elements are upgradable for a small price.

I'm looking at Brewtools, I always brew 5 gallon batches. I'm curious as to whether it would be better to go for the B40 or B80?

Thanks,

I'm looking at Brewtools, I always brew 5 gallon batches. I'm curious as to whether it would be better to go for the B40 or B80?

Thanks,
Depends on the beer you want to brew. I went 80 because I want to mess around with creating really big beers, one I have planned is a RIS that has a 22.7 pound grist, that is 2.7 pounds over the limit of the b40, but still about 1/2 the capacity of the 80.

While $400 additional for the B80 vs B40 isn't chump-change, it does provide some future proofing. Also, most all of the accessories will cost pretty much the same, so further reducing the % cost increase of the 'total system'. @deuc224 also raises a good point about being able to do big-beers.

Many people have wished for an in-between option, like a B60. I wish there was a B100, as having a little more space is easier to work with (plus, not having to sparge is appealing; regarding total water volume during mash). I couldn't justify spending $850 more for the B150, but if I were evaluating wanting a slightly larger size than the B40, I think the B80 makes sense at its price point.

But hey, lots of considerations (funds, space, lifting larger basket, slightly more expensive steam-hat, etc...). Good luck with the decision. Either way, I have no doubt you'll enjoy brewing on this system.

Back