Spike Brew Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burdbrew

Reaction score
Spike Brew Pump | Spike Brewing

Coming soon, and available for pre-order in the near future. This thing looks super cool. Adonized is completely unnecessary, but this is the classiest looking pump I've seen. The write up says that it is high performing. The price point isn't crazy to me either. I will give it some thought when the Riptide I bought dies. Thoughts? (Edit: Added a picture)

1649377133052.png

Last edited:
it looks like a riptide copy/knockoff

While we can admit the motor is similar (TEFC motor style) this pump is a ground up design done by Spike. The performance specs back that up as the flow rate and PSI ratings are about 30%+ of what the Blichmann is. The built in chopping tines on the impeller help reduce the chances of clogging due to hops and grain. Also the ARV (Air Release Valve) also is a much more thought out design as the hot sticky wort doesn't just drain out onto the pump head and instead flows out a barbed fitting.

@SpikeBrewing That impeller seems like a differentiator for me. I brew 10 gallons, throughput isn't a factor on my scale. I have no priming issues. How have you tested the bladed impeller? Have you done large hop loads, whirlpool, use a plate chiller, that kind of thing?

At basically the same price point, it's a no brainer to buy adonized with higher output if I were to buy new. To replace, I'd have to think about it. Maybe I'm not alone?

@SpikeBrewing That impeller seems like a differentiator for me. I brew 10 gallons, throughput isn't a factor on my scale. I have no priming issues. How have you tested the bladed impeller? Have you done large hop loads, whirlpool, use a plate chiller, that kind of thing?

At basically the same price point, it's a no brainer to buy adonized with higher output if I were to buy new. To replace, I'd have to think about it. Maybe I'm not alone?

We've put 1000's of hours on many many pumps during development. Endurance testing, real life brew days, worst case scenario testing and it's performed amazing at every turn!

I'm personally offended you didn't invent an entirely new style of motor.

Haha that's a better attitude than some. Some people think since we use a TEFC motor that it's a "copy" of an existing pump. Those people must not realize that's one of the most common motor styles out there!

Back