spice questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hou_me

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, between deer season and researching Brutus clones I have been busy!

Anyway, I am working on a recipe that I hope to brew this weekend. It's based on a witbier. I'm thinking of calling it Rye Wit (love punny names)

5lbs Belgian Pils 2-row
4lbs White Wheat
1lbs Flaked Wheat
8oz Rye Malt

.5oz Cascade (60min)
.5oz Cascade (20min)
.25oz Cascade (0 min)

I want to add some spices too. I'm leaning toward sweet orange peel and either ginger or grains of paradise but I'm open to suggestions. I have only ever worked with spices once so I am looking for advice on quantity and when to add them. I want to add to the end of the boil, but if I'll get better results at a different time then that's fine too. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

-ben

Id skip the dried peel, and just zest a piece of good smelling citrus into the wort near flameout. It gives a better flavor, i think. It is almost citrus season, if you have a good produce market near you, you should be able to find a variety of citrus (blood oranges, tangelo, etc) to choose from.

grains of paradise is awesome with Rye. I used it in my latest Rye Saison. Coriander would be good too

Why so little Rye? I've never put less than 3 lbs in any beer I called a "Rye" beer. I don;t think you;d be able to get any spicy character or fuller body from just 8oz. Flaked Rye helps the flavor pop a lot more too. Most of my Rye beers get 2 lbs Rye and 1lb Flaked

^ Agree with this. I have also made teas out of oranges/other fruits and added to the primary couple days into fermentation or after fermentation has completed. But doing this will give a stronger flavor than putting the zest in at flameout.

Thanks for the tips

I will use the orange zest at flameout and up the rye too. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

-ben

Back