Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are you doing with spent grain? (Pick one of the first three, a then others as appropriate)

• Throwing it all out

• Throwing a portion of it out

• Using all of it

• Composting

• Cooking

• Animal feed

• Donating to Others for one or more of the above

• Other (add a response below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

McTwidget

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how many people are using their spent grain for something, and how many are just tossing it out. No judgment for any type of answer...just curious.

I tried to make bread with it once but it is too dense and the loaf wouldn’t rise. Maybe if you could dry it out but that’s a lot of work just for some bread LOL.

I tried to make bread with it once but it is too dense and the loaf wouldn’t rise. Maybe if you could dry it out but that’s a lot of work just for some bread LOL.

Work? Not really. Take a look at this ~

https://brooklynbrewshop.com/blogs/themash/how-to-dry-spent-grain

Then this:

https://brooklynbrewshop.com/blogs/themash/recipe-spent-grain-flour

Then this:

https://brooklynbrewshop.com/blogs/themash/tagged/spent-grain-chef

Personally, I toss all of mine on the garden, where it is tilled into the soil; but that's mostly because we're doing to low-carb thing. When I eventually get back into real cooking, I'll be doing a lot of these projects ~

For folks throwing some or all of it out. If you had contact info for someone who wanted it, and they would come and get it, would you contact them with a when and where for them to come and get it?

I keep 6 quarter cup tupperwares of it in the freezer to use in bread - just use 1 per loaf. The rest go to the chickens and the mulch pile.

I save as much of it as can. I'd like to save and use more of it, but you can't put a ton of it into any dough without it becoming tough to eat.

I like to use it in pizza dough, waffles, and other things that take sauces and syrups well. It doesn't work in things that are dry. My wife occasionally likes to make spent grain bread.

Again? Every few months this is asked...

But in response. None of the first 3 apply unless composting is throwing it all out...

I compost it all if I can. I don't have a place to compost where I am temporarily, so I trash it. I added other because, if I knew someone who could use it I would give it to them.

Made bread once.

When composting it I have never seen any animal touch it other than worms.

but you can't put a ton of it into any dough without it becoming tough to eat
Yes you can.

Use between 50 and 80% raw spent grain, put into a mixer, add a good amount of yeast, water or milk, and as much flour as needed to make a thick, but non hand-kneadable dough. Let it rise once and pour out into well greased and floured loaf pans. Proof, then bake at 450F. My favorite bread, very moist with wonderful flavor and great crust!

Now that's "Spent Grain Bread!"
No wussy stuff with 2 cups of dried and ground spent grain getting lost in 6-8 cups of white flour.

I have a compost bin that has really just been a spent grain bin lately. I also noticed that animals don’t eat it and that seems strange.

I’m curious, if you made it into bread or pizza dough, how do you get the husks out. I always taste my grain before mashing in, but after chewing it for a while I’m left with a mouth full of husks, yuck.

I say to myself almost every batch "let's save it and make bread or dog biscuits" but then I always end up just getting rid of it. I used to toss it in a bag and in the trash but now I dump it on top of my compost but I know there are plenty of animals back there, probably snacking on it before it ever gets composted.

I sprinkle on top of compost pile. Sometimes the deer clean it up...other times they don't touch it and walk right on by. Same grain bill so its not like they don't like something or other in it. I keep the spent hops separated so that doesn't foul the taste for the animals if they choose to eat it. If they don't, the worms have a heck of a meal composting the grains and I get great garden soil for veggies and potted plants next year.

I always chuck it all.
This last brew, I took the time to collect it all and try and dry it out in the oven.
After drying 2 cups of flour's worth (to baking sheets), I chucked the rest.
2 hours at 200*F stirring a few times to get it dry.
Then grind it in a coffee grinder to a fine flour.
Then I made bread with 1 cup of flour and saved the other cup.
Very tasty bread.
Next time, I'll just dry out a baking sheet. 5oz out of 10lbs.

I currently throw them out. My dog has a very weak stomach and I think she's allergic to gluten, so treats are out. If someone wants to come over at 11pm (usually about the time I'm getting done with my mash) to collect the spent grain, fine. But they better be in the driveway when the mash is done. I usually brew after work on a Friday, so I'm not putting extra effort into saving grain.

If I had chickens or other farm animals (someday, just not today), a forest, or a garden for compost, I would save them.

Goes to the range fed chickens. They come running when I beat the bottom of the bucket. I did 10 gal batches and it is gone within the week. In cooler weather, some is used by the wife in all sorts of baked goods; the husks just add roughage. Save some for brew bones for the dogs who love them. I’m sure some of the wildlife get a portion, too.

I use mine to make spent grain peanut butter dog treats for my pup. I use 4 cups of it and it makes enough to fill a couple gallon sized zip lock bags. And my dog greatly benefits from it.

My chickens get them now but before when I didn't have chickens I traded the grain for a few dozen eggs.

I have dried some and put it in the vita mix and made flour and used that to make bread, was quite delicious.

Edit: I also was part of a vegetable CSA and they had a large compost pile that I used to dump them also. Was a plus that the owners were a fan of IPA and wheat beers so I would drop off some bottles while dropping off the grains.

I'm curious to see how many people are using their spent grain for something, and how many are just tossing it out. No judgment for any type of answer...just curious.
I gave the spent grain to my brother, who likes making bread, and he said it didn't turn out. I didn't grill him on his procedure, taste, etc. Since that time, I've been tossing it. Now that you've asked what we do, it occurs to me that I could put it in the compost pile.

I use to make dog biscuits with it but I got tired of messing with it. Now I give it to someone with pigs, goats, and chickens.

I give my spent grains to my coworker who feeds it to his cows, chickens and pigs and in return he gives me eggs and meat.

I trade it to the guy up the street as for eggs. He obviously uses it as chicken feed.

I compost all of mine. I've noticed it tends to produce a more granular compost and some of the husk remains, but it's very good as mulch or spread on the lawn.

If anyone knows how to get it composting all the way down, I'm interested to hear what you do.

Only up to 62% of voters selected one of the first three options.
Perhaps it's unclear whether composting counts as "using" the spent grains.
Oh well.

And yes, I would give my spent grain to someone if they'd come get it.

I dump mine out back somewhere in the garden. Whatever the critters don't eat gets tilled in eventually.

I've made pizza dough with spent grains a few times, but that doesn't take much, and not very often. Otherwise it all gets dumped into the woods.

I’m curious, if you made it into bread or pizza dough, how do you get the husks out. I always taste my grain before mashing in, but after chewing it for a while I’m left with a mouth full of husks, yuck.

You don't, just use as is.

I sprinkle on top of compost pile. Sometimes the deer clean it up...other times they don't touch it and walk right on by. Same grain bill so its not like they don't like something or other in it. I keep the spent hops separated so that doesn't foul the taste for the animals if they choose to eat it. If they don't, the worms have a heck of a meal composting the grains and I get great garden soil for veggies and potted plants next year.

I am curious about the use in composting. My knowledge on the subject is that making hot compost needs air, water, 'greens' (ie, nitrogen rich) and 'browns' (carbone rich). There should be about a 7:1 ratio of browns:greens.

My question... Are spent grains considered greens or browns? My pile needs more carbon.

I am curious about the use in composting. My knowledge on the subject is that making hot compost needs air, water, 'greens' (ie, nitrogen rich) and 'browns' (carbone rich). There should be about a 7:1 ratio of browns:greens.

My question... Are spent grains considered greens or browns? My pile needs more carbon.
Grains are Green - If you don't have an abundance of leaves, check with cabinet shops and such for sawdust. That's a heavy brown.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back