Speidel vs Agri-Mart (Pros/Cons)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Anyone can advise on the pros and cons of Speidel vs Agri-Mart plastic fermenters?

I am soon to get a single vessel fermenter for 11 gallon batches.. The Speidel seems to be more 'ready to use' and would fit in my fermentation chamber easier, but I like the conical shape of the Agri-mart...

It appears both are translucent to a degree.. Can activity be seen through one or the other at all?

Anyways, I'd like to hear advice/experiences/regrets etc. about each, before I commit to one or the other..

can a temp probe be used with either? I see that the Speidel has some handy fittings available for blow off and draining.. But with the agri-mart, I see that some people have built collection vessels that hang off of it during ferment (not sure I have room for that anyways...

speidel fermenter.JPG

agrimart fermenter.jpg

You won't see a thing through the speidel, I have 2 30l speidel and that's all I use now. It's way easier than 6 gal better bottle.

The krausen line shows through speidel like the picture but that's it. I even tried high power flashlight and nothing. Ipersonally like to see the yeast activity and that is a pro for better bottles but the advantages of speidel save enough pain in the butt that it makes no sense to use clear fermentors regularly.

The krausen line shows through speidel like the picture but that's it. I even tried high power flashlight and nothing. Ipersonally like to see the yeast activity and that is a pro for better bottles but the advantages of speidel save enough pain in the butt that it makes no sense to use clear fermentors regularly.

I like to watch too.. but I want to do away with the two vessel thing, and go to one.. I want to do away with 'siphoning', and the lifting out and moving of full fermenters.. I also want to do away with the risk of broken glass...

If someone could just figure out a way to make a clear conical... especially a glass one (glass is not so dangerous if you don't have to move it at all)

I'm going down to NorCal today to buy one, and a couple of the accessories..

This fits in my fermentation chamber better that the conical agrimart version, although that one offers more potential for modifications and what not...

This will work for a couple years or so until I can afford a stainless conical and build a chamber to control it in....

You can also easily mod the Speidel with parts from SSbrewtech, but had the NorCal stuff been available back when I did this I probably would have bought theirs. And you can only see the krausen thickness, not much else.

attachment.php

I ended up getting the 60L with the SS dip tube, and the SS blow off + thermowell...

I like the little temp probe you added...

Back