Sparkloid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzymittenbrewing

Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to cider but have some Sparkloid I use in my Skeeter Pee. I was wondering if I could use it to help clear my cider or if the pectins would just be too much for it. (Used 5 gallons fresh pressed unpasteurized cider and Cider House Select yeast. Did not use pectic enzyme.)

It might work. It depends on what is causing the haze.

If it's a pectin haze, pectic enzyme would work.

If it's a haze caused by positively charged particles (protein), then a negatively charged fining agent would be needed. But it's probably a negatively charged haze, from tannin, yeast, etc, so you'd need a positively charged fining agent like sparkelloid.

Have you tried chilling the cider first? That often works better than any fining.

If it's a haze caused by positively charged particles (protein), then a negatively charged fining agent would be needed. But it's probably a negatively charged haze, from tannin, yeast, etc, so you'd need a positively charged fining agent like sparkelloid.

Have you tried chilling the cider first? That often works better than any fining.

I have not tried that yet Yoop. Still two weeks away from clearing steps, just not sure if I will have time to grab some enzime in the meantime. Although I will be cold crashing.

When you talk about a tannin haze, does that represent a part of the flavour profile? If I use gelatin to remove a tannin haze, am I also stripping away some of that flavour?

When you talk about a tannin haze, does that represent a part of the flavour profile? If I use gelatin to remove a tannin haze, am I also stripping away some of that flavour?

Yes.

I never use gelatin, but that would be one of the downfalls of any finings. Overuse can definitely impact the flavor negatively. You want just enough to fix the problem.

One thing that works well to clear is cold stabilization- putting the cider or wine somewhere at least 10 degrees colder and holding it there for a few weeks. That seems to clear it well, and reduces excess acids (they precipitate out), and doesn't have a negative flavor impact.

Yes.

I never use gelatin, but that would be one of the downfalls of any finings. Overuse can definitely impact the flavor negatively. You want just enough to fix the problem.

One thing that works well to clear is cold stabilization- putting the cider or wine somewhere at least 10 degrees colder and holding it there for a few weeks. That seems to clear it well, and reduces excess acids (they precipitate out), and doesn't have a negative flavor impact.

I think I may have taken the body out of one of my most promising batches then :(

Back