Sparkling Sweet/Semi-sweet cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am a beer brewer dipping my toe into cider making. The whole fact that cider ferments down to nothing is throwing me for a loop. I have two 6-gal carboys of fermenting cider and I still don't know what I am doing with it. I am shooting for sweet or semi-sweet ciders. My original plan was to keg half and bottle the other. I can always backsweeten the keg but the bottling is where I have my questions. My current plan is to cold crash when the cider drops to a gravity around 1.02 and hope the yeast drops out and fermentation stops. My question though is that will I get all the yeast or will there invariably be some yeast still in there which may lead to bottle bombs. I was considering ordering a beer gun to go ahead and let it ferment out, backsweeten, keg, force carb, and bottle. However, I do not know what I would do with 2 cases of cold cider. I would have to get around 1 1/2 cases warm to age until I am ready to drink. I do have some potassium sorbate but I'm not sure that's what I want to do. I'm very lost in this...

Ok. So I'm back to the beer gun idea. I will let it ferment all the way out and taste. I can then back sweeten to taste. Cold crash, carb, use the beer gun to bottle, then let what I'm not going to drink warm to storing temp.

Ok. So I'm back to the beer gun idea. I will let it ferment all the way out and taste. I can then back sweeten to taste. Cold crash, carb, use the beer gun to bottle, then let what I'm not going to drink warm to storing temp.

If you store it warm, without doing anything about the yeast, then of course the yeast will start up again. I assume you'll be using sorbate before sweetening, but that wasn't clear.

Back