sour taste the longer it sits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rynb15

Reaction score
I brewed up a brewers best cream ale. Fermented 3 weeks. After 3 weeks in the bottle i put a 12 pack in the fridge. It tasted pretty good. Put another 12 pack in the fridge, now around 6 weeks in bottles. So far all 3 beers i opened tasted sour. Real sour. had to pour them out. Any ideas? thanks

I brewed up a brewers best cream ale. Fermented 3 weeks. After 3 weeks in the bottle i put a 12 pack in the fridge. It tasted pretty good. Put another 12 pack in the fridge, now around 6 weeks in bottles. So far all 3 beers i opened tasted sour. Real sour. had to pour them out. Any ideas? thanks

Sanitation. :(

I've traced my sour-tasting beers to it. I've refined my process and no more sour taste.

I was ok with cleaning and sanitizing on brewday, but took shortcuts on bottling. I paid for it. Instead of American Wheat, I had American Yuck. I drank it anyway. ;)

ya, i was kinda thinking that. But i scrubbed my bottles with a brush. Then rinse. then they get a dunk in a bucket of starsan.

You def got an infection from something. As the yeast settles out & the beer carbonates,you tend to taste it more.

Did you boil your priming sugar? Clean and sanitize your bottling bucket? Bottle away from open windows and strong breezes? Sanitize your bottle caps? Make sure your siphon hoses are clean and sanitary?

Did you boil your priming sugar? Clean and sanitize your bottling bucket? Bottle away from open windows and strong breezes? Sanitize your bottle caps? Make sure your siphon hoses are clean and sanitary?

...and disassemble, clean, and sanitize the bottling bucket spigot (if you use one)?

Latest posts

Back