Sour Fementation and bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno81

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed a all grain batch of Northern Brewers Dead Ringer IPA on 2/18/2014

OG 1.06
Wyeast 1056

On 3/6/14 I dry hopped 2oz of centenial but I did not sanitize my hop bag... DUN DUN DUN!!!

3/13/14 I opened my fermenter and saw a layer of oily bubbles and was heart broken.

I tried to save the brew by adding Camden tabs and kegging the bottom 4 gallons.

Tasted like doo doo. So I dumped it ( literally) into my bottling bucket and stuck a lid on it. I couldn't make myself throw it out hoping that one day it would mature and be a good sour.

So today while kegging a Belgium Wit I decided to check on my old disgusting friend.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402503265.742336.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402503273.608470.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402503281.108780.jpg

Yes I did drink that.... LoL

I took a sample from the buckets spigot.
There is almost no smell at all and a nice mellow flavor. It is slightly bitter

My question is when will I be able to bottle this ugly beast and how the hell should I do it... ?
Will this layer of death ever go away or should I rack it from the bottom?
Should I wait a couple more months? My bee a year? I don't really need this bucket...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The taste is more sour on my second tasting. Kinda bitter but more sour than anything.

Gravity is 1.010
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402504166.613181.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back