Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some of the batch of soup made earlier this week for dinner tonight. When cold it was a bit gelatinous, in a very good way. Skimmed the excess fat off the top and added carrots into the simmer pot. I put some diced carrots when I make the batch, but add more when heating it up. I've found that sliced carrots don't fare well in the freezer. So no point in adding the desired amount into the original batch. Served it up over some freshly made brown rice (noodles are not an option for me). The smoke flavor/aroma is very mellow, but enough to enhance the recipe.

I'm hoping that the grocery store has whole (fresh) turkey on sale again after xmas (like they did after Thanksgiving).
We're in France for the holidays and hoped to have a turkey for Thanksgiving and for Christmas but at $6 per pound for a farmed raised bird we got one 8 kilo turkey and the farmer cut it in half for us. We ate the first half last week, then used the bones to make stock for veggie soup, we froze the stock for Christmas. We may do another Thanksgiving dinner for the other half of the family next weekend, or may do a smoked turkey for Christmas day.

OMG I forgot how much I loved this soup. Celery Stilton. We actually used blue cheese in place of stilton.
I.5 pounds celery rough chop - reserve leaves to garnish
1 leek - whites chopped
1 large or 2 small onions - chopped
Soften all that in a soup pot with a few TBSP olive oil
Add 2 potatoes (cubed) and a quart of vegetable or chicken stock
Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
Cook until potatoes are done
Puree with a hand blender and add 5 to 6 ounces blue or stilton as you puree
Serve with a fresh baguette
Edit - forgot one. A pint of cream when you puree and add cheese.

Last edited:
After 2 solid days of excessive excess we ate sensibly today. White boudin and mashed potatoes for lunch. For dinner I made soup with pumpkin, carrots, leeks, onion, and a potato. Excellent.

Attachments

• 20211226_191612.jpg
    20211226_191612.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Need to get another fresh turkey to use in another batch of soup in the next few weeks. I only have two containers of the first batch left. Those will be gone pretty soon (two to three weeks). Might end up making a third batch this season even. Provided I can get a fresh bird. I don't use frozen turkey because it's higher in sodium than the fresh ones. I can taste the difference.

Never knew this thread existed. Pics with recipes should be a requirement. ;) Once the weather cools a bit more we do enjoy some homemade soup. I'll be back when the mercury falls.

Never knew this thread existed. Pics with recipes should be a requirement. ;) Once the weather cools a bit more we do enjoy some homemade soup. I'll be back when the mercury falls.
It got into the 30s for the first time so soup was required.
Basic pumpkin veggie soup
1 small pumpkin, seeded, peeled,
cubed
2 carrots
1 med onion
1 leek
2 cloves garlic
1 med potato
Salt and pepper to taste
Simmer in 2 quarts water or stock at least 90 minutes.
Blend well with stick blender.
I had some lettuce and green chile left from cheeseburger night so I threw them in as well. Great with a bit of butter or heavy cream in the bowl. Feeds 8 or the 2 of us for a week

@corkybstewart that soup does look really good and simple to make. Thanks for the idea
If I can make it anybody can. Use the veggies you have on hand including wilted lettuce or other stuff past its prime. During covid we learned that old wilted veggies were still delicious if we found the right way to use them.

I guess it would depend on the beer. I ruined a batch of pot roast with a hoppy beer.
I find it wasteful to toss out all the BMC that is abandoned at my place by guests favoring my quality selection of homemade and carefully selected choice beers. I only use the "refuse" in my culinary adventures. This also applies to the whiskies that my dad and brother purchase "just to see if its any good", but clearly did not make the cut. The beer goes into soups, reductions for pork chops, preboiling brats, etc. The whiskey is for smoked fish mixed 50/50 with honey as an amazing glaze as well as mixed drinks if it's not too bad (for SWMBO).

I wholeheartedly agree with this thread 😋😋😋

Yummy.

The only thing here at home is that my wife and daughter do not like chunks in their soup, it always has to be mixed. So when I have time I use any current soup that is in the fridge as a base for a kind of minestrone, with veggies taken out of the freezer.

I have a small vegetable garden from which we prepare zucchini soup, pumpkin soup and tomato soup. Pumpkins I always roast in the oven first, also makes it simpler to freeze them.

Some favourites here are chervil soup with meat balls and tomato soup with meat balls. Meat balls from minced pork. Do not boil them, toss them in just after the boil, more like poaching.

I find it wasteful to toss out all the BMC that is abandoned at my place by guests favoring my quality selection of homemade and carefully selected choice beers. I only use the "refuse" in my culinary adventures. This also applies to the whiskies that my dad and brother purchase "just to see if its any good", but clearly did not make the cut. The beer goes into soups, reductions for pork chops, preboiling brats, etc. The whiskey is for smoked fish mixed 50/50 with honey as an amazing glaze as well as mixed drinks if it's not too bad (for SWMBO).
We used to use leftovers for target practice, I guess this is another use. Where we live now we have no friends who bring beer to the house, everyone out here drinks liquor or wine. Bad whiskey gets consumed in eggnog starting next month.

We used to use leftovers for target practice, I guess this is another use. Where we live now we have no friends who bring beer to the house, everyone out here drinks liquor or wine. Bad whiskey gets consumed in eggnog starting next month.
Try one or two cans of Swiller Light, a half glass of red wine, and a splash of whisky in your next pot roast. In fact, soak the roast (in reality, i dont cook any meat without this brine first, especially chicken) in a zip lock with a quart of water, a 1/4 C of salt, and a 1/4 C of brown sugar. Let that sit for at least a day.

Try one or two cans of Swiller Light, a half glass of red wine, and a splash of whisky in your next pot roast. In fact, soak the roast (in reality, i dont cook any meat without this brine first, especially chicken) in a zip lock with a quart of water, a 1/4 C of salt, and a 1/4 C of brown sugar. Let that sit for at least a day.
I use a dark beer, like a Black Butte Porter or a homebrewed dark ale, in a lot of my cooking-pot roast, barbecue sauce, chile con carne, etc. When we used to have our Oktoberfest with homemade bratwurst I would buy swill beer for the boil, but otherwise I do n't have that sort of beer around anymore.

I use a dark beer, like a Black Butte Porter or a homebrewed dark ale, in a lot of my cooking-pot roast, barbecue sauce, chile con carne, etc. When we used to have our Oktoberfest with homemade bratwurst I would buy swill beer for the boil, but otherwise I do n't have that sort of beer around anymore.
Good call on the porter, and an excellent one at that. The red wine will surprisingly complement it well.

It so happens that my mini-me just came down with a case of the sniffles. I'm making a chicken soup with 2 cans of bud light, one can of Lockhorn Bone Dry cider, and a can of Lift Bridge Farm Girl for the stock with a chicken carcass. I just can't justify using only water when there's so much one could add with just the broth.

Massive soup fan. I spun this one up tonight. I never really follow any type of recipe and sorta wing it. I wanted a chicken soup that didn’t taste like chicken soup.
590F2A03-86FF-4CE4-A514-6450755043B5.jpeg
3672B82A-8E99-45CD-91E1-55A49F5E459A.jpeg

Chopped bacon ends
Chopped shallots
Two big carrots chopped
Dunno how many leeks. Chopped and frozen a couple weeks ago.
A container of store bought broth and a jar of homemade frozen broth plus a couple cups of water
Grilled chicken, frozen from awhile ago
Can of white beans
Can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
A healthy amount of lamb seasoning from Penzies
Salt and pepper as I taste

Only gripe from me is the tomatoes pieces were a bit large. Wife would have liked barley added. I wanted parsnips, too, but forgot to grab em at the store

Massive soup fan. I spun this one up tonight. I never really follow any type of recipe and sorta wing it. I wanted a chicken soup that didn’t taste like chicken soup.
View attachment 785561View attachment 785562

Chopped bacon ends
Chopped shallots
Two big carrots chopped
Dunno how many leeks. Chopped and frozen a couple weeks ago.
A container of store bought broth and a jar of homemade frozen broth plus a couple cups of water
Grilled chicken, frozen from awhile ago
Can of white beans
Can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
A healthy amount of lamb seasoning from Penzies
Salt and pepper as I taste

Only gripe from me is the tomatoes pieces were a bit large. Wife would have liked barley added. I wanted parsnips, too, but forgot to grab em at the store
Your soup looks delicious but when I read " I wanted a chicken soup that didn’t taste like chicken soup." then scrolled down a little and seen the mason jar of homemade broth my head thought yeast slurry and yep that will do it.

My wife made a white chilli a while back, chicken and white bean with mild chilli spices. I would say that was a chicken soup that did not taste like chicken soup.

Your soup looks delicious but when I read " I wanted a chicken soup that didn’t taste like chicken soup." then scrolled down a little and seen the mason jar of homemade broth my head thought yeast slurry and yep that will do it.

My wife made a white chilli a while back, chicken and white bean with mild chilli spices. I would say that was a chicken soup that did not taste like chicken soup.
I make a mean chicken soup but wasn’t in that mood tonight. The lamb seasoning was an impulse buy of my wife and honestly got me where I wanted to be. I’ve never cooked a piece of lamb in my life, but it worked in this spot really well, haha.
Plus, that can of fire roasted tomatoes is almost a cheat code for easy flavor.

Also, I noticed the veggie scrap container in the freezer is getting full. It’s amazing how much fun/how many beers a veggie stock making afternoon can turn into. :ban:

Like OP posted in the original post, there’s soup - the canned stuff that while not great for you, is quick and easy. And there’s SOUP - homemade bowls of deliciousness.
I have a few in my rotation.
A potato - leek one, typically more or less vegetarian, but some bacon or ham goes very nicely in.
I have a recipe for French onion, that I’ll modify now and then for mushrooms (swap most of the onion for a few varieties of mushrooms.)
Hot and sour (Chinese style)
There an instant pot chicken soup I’ll make now and then. Water to table in something like 3 hours, with still the depth as stock simmered all day.
I don’t know if chili counts as soup - or more a stew?

When it's time to clean out the vegetable bin we will make chicken soup with the veggies that are past their prime but still good. Friday the wife made chicken soup with the half of a rotisserie chicken we didn't eat on the way home, a leek, old romaine lettuce, green chile, limp carrots, limp celery, taters, onion, garlic and some leftover sweet peas. I te it Friday night, Saturday morning for breakfast, and we finished it last night. Brigitte puts pepper flakes in the soup, but I always add a spoon of extra hot NM red chile powder to my bowl.

My Polish grandmother. who passed away around 40 years ago, used to make something she called Kapusta. Translated it just means cabbage, but her dish was much more than that. More like a stew, made with cabbage, kielbasa, tomatoes, and potatoes, and who knows what else. So a few years ago I made up an easy soup recipe that borrows some of the flavors, (and memories), from her kapusta. Since it was a cool chilly day today I decided to make it today to warm us up.

IMG-2193.jpg

D
My Polish grandmother. who passed away around 40 years ago, used to make something she called Kapusta. Translated it just means cabbage, but her dish was much more than that. More like a stew, made with cabbage, kielbasa, tomatoes, and potatoes, and who knows what else. So a few years ago I made up an easy soup recipe that borrows some of the flavors, (and memories), from her kapusta. Since it was a cool chilly day today I decided to make it today to warm us up.

View attachment 785823
Do you know someone who "does know what else" and would be willing to share that info?

D
Do you know someone who "does know what else" and would be willing to share that info?
Unfortunately no. However, I'm pretty sure the "what else" simply comes down to spices and technique. I can get close. But the thought that I'm trying to keep some of her recipes going would have her beaming I'm sure.

I don't have anything to add other than our local store had the cans of Campbell's Chunky on sale for 99 cents yesterday. It's not in the same league as the stuff in this thread, but makes for a good meal when the girls are away. :ban:

I'll make up for it by making some clam chowder here soon. I made an excellent batch 2 years ago, but I didn't write down what I put in it . . . 🤦‍♂️

I have a good sized garden, so I'm always looking to use what i grow. Some years I grow a lot of potatoes and/or shallots - like at least 10 lbs, maybe more - so one soup I like to make is based on those. I roast the shallots to caramelize and bring out the flavor, then I simmer in stock with waxy potatoes and add a good deal of cleaned French sorrel leaves, stripped from the fibrous midrib, which I also grow, as well as seasonings like black pepper. Purée it all and add fresh herbs that are available.
Another nice variation with no potatoes is a lot of roasted shallots, again, simmered in stock with seasonings, as the base. Then I toast a cup or more of sunflower seeds and grind to a paste. Beat that into the soup pot with chopped sorrel leaves, let simmer, then purée and serve with fresh chopped chives on top.
I'm planning to grow a stinging nettle patch this year, so I definitely plan to include them in soups.
A lot of mentions of pumpkin in soup - but did anyone mention spicy pumpkin soups/stews from Africa? Like maafe type stews - I've made pumpkin-peanut soup - roasted pumpkin with plain, organic peanut butter, lots of onions & chile peppers. It can have beef (cubed, browned and added to simmer), or be vegetarian. It's a great combo!

I love butter bean soup. Cant remember the measurements but its something like this.
500g dried butter beans
3 large carrots sliced
4 medium yellow onions sliced roughly
tin of chopped tomatoes
squirt of tomato puree
slug of olive oil
spoon of chilli flakes
salt and pepper

Soak beans overnight. Pressure cook beans in water for 45 minutes. Open up and add the rest of the ingredients, remove some liquid if necessary. Pressure cook for another 15 minutes then open, season and reduce if needed.

I have a good sized garden, so I'm always looking to use what i grow. Some years I grow a lot of potatoes and/or shallots - like at least 10 lbs, maybe more - so one soup I like to make is based on those. I roast the shallots to caramelize and bring out the flavor, then I simmer in stock with waxy potatoes and add a good deal of cleaned French sorrel leaves, stripped from the fibrous midrib, which I also grow, as well as seasonings like black pepper. Purée it all and add fresh herbs that are available.
Another nice variation with no potatoes is a lot of roasted shallots, again, simmered in stock with seasonings, as the base. Then I toast a cup or more of sunflower seeds and grind to a paste. Beat that into the soup pot with chopped sorrel leaves, let simmer, then purée and serve with fresh chopped chives on top.
I'm planning to grow a stinging nettle patch this year, so I definitely plan to include them in soups.
A lot of mentions of pumpkin in soup - but did anyone mention spicy pumpkin soups/stews from Africa? Like maafe type stews - I've made pumpkin-peanut soup - roasted pumpkin with plain, organic peanut butter, lots of onions & chile peppers. It can have beef (cubed, browned and added to simmer), or be vegetarian. It's a great combo!
Mrs made a lovely omelette with nettles. Wilted it first then chucked in some cheese.

In France we made pumpkin soup with chestnuts from my BIL'S tree, once with the green chile he planted in our yard before we got there.

Back