Champagne Chicken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like posting the recipe again. We are having friends over and they insist that I cook it for them. Here goes:

Chicken breast. Or Tenderloins. Slice breast in half so they are thinner if you wish. Personal choice.

Lay down some Olive Oil and a TBSP or two of butter in a pan and get it warming up.
In a dish, mix up some Flour, Red Pepper Flakes, Paprika, Onion Salt, Garlic Powder and any other spices you want. Stir it up.

Dredge the chicken in the flour mix and fry in the pan.

When chicken is golden, pull from pan and set aside.

In the pan, add more Olive Oil/butter and dice up some Shallots (Onion will work, but Shallots somehow taste better IMO) and get them sautee'ing. You *could* add a bit of flour after the shallots are "done", but just enough to help the sauce thicken. It's fine without.

Pour in a cup (OR MORE!) of wine. Traditionally a Brut Champagne was used, but my family likes it better with a sweet wine, sparkling or not.

Simmer that until it's reduced. Then add a cup or more of Heavy Cream. Mushrooms are optional, but we don't add them.

Return the Chicken to the pan and cook some more, until the chicken is fully done and the sauce is thickened.

My family expects Risotto with this, so melt some Olive Oil/Butter in a pan and sweat some Onions/Shallots, then add the risotto and cook stirring often, until the risotto is toasted. Then add chicken stock a little at a time, simmering the risotto until it's firmness is what you want. Stir often! This is what gives risotto a creamy texture!

When the risotto is "done" add peas and parmesan cheese and stir it up. We use frozen peas as they hold up better than canned. Salt/pepper to taste.

Great with steamed or grilled veggies!

Always looking for some new recipes for chicken. This sounds amazing. No wonder they insist you cook it.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM that sounds so good right now! I have a bunch of thighs in the freezer - think it would be tasty with them if I bone/skin them out?

I've never made it with dark meat, but I like dark meat in general. It's worth a try?

FWIW the chicken was a hit this weekend. I even made a separate batch without onions/shallots for a friend who is averse to the texture of onions. I don't prefer it that way, but it was still pretty darn good.

I've never made it with dark meat, but I like dark meat in general. It's worth a try?

FWIW the chicken was a hit this weekend. I even made a separate batch without onions/shallots for a friend who is averse to the texture of onions. I don't prefer it that way, but it was still pretty darn good.
I gotta try it. KOTC isn't overly fond of thighs unless they're in a sauce of some kind, or grilled and put on top of salad, so this might just make him a believer!

Bedsides, I can make gribenes out of the skins - I love them, KOTC won't touch them, so I get them ALL to myself! :D

Very similar to a couple recipes I make. Just a consideration, but I loosely wrap a chicken breast in plastic wrap then take a meat tenderizer (meat beater as wife calls it) and pound it to uniform flat. Then follow recipe as you have it. Flat chicken cooks uniformly and fast.

And plastic wrap makes for fast and easy cleanup

Very similar to a couple recipes I make. Just a consideration, but I loosely wrap a chicken breast in plastic wrap then take a meat tenderizer (meat beater as wife calls it) and pound it to uniform flat. Then follow recipe as you have it. Flat chicken cooks uniformly and fast.

And plastic wrap makes for fast and easy cleanup

I've actually thought about that after the last 2 times I've made Parmesan Chicken. Only problem is there is usually not enough room in the pan as it is. If you keep the temperature low while the chicken is cooking in the finished sauce, it's not a problem. But there are times when I do want to cook it faster. I might try it!

I too like to pound cutlets when I can; it's a good technique for uniformity and texture. When I do pound them, I dust them with flour before wrapping and pounding, and seem to get better results; I also use the flat side of the "meat beater."

Back