[Instant Pot] Ham and Bean Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
[Instant Pot] Ham and Bean Soup

Following are my full notes on a version of Ham and Bean Soup that I have been making in my new Instant Pot (Lux80), with good success. These notes assume that you are familiar with using an Instant Pot, and have some familiarity in a kitchen. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them - and if anyone wants to share some notes or advice, please feel free to do so!

Simmer the leftover ham and bone - covered - over low heat in about 6 cups of water for a couple-three hours to get the meat loosened off the bone. Take the ham out and set it to cool while you get the beans ready.

Put the beans and 5 cups of ham water and/or chicken stock in the Instant Pot, then cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Let the pressure fall naturally for 15 minutes, then release the valve until the red button drops down. While the beans are cooking, get all of the ham off the bone and cut it into bite-size pieces. Also cut up the equivalent of 1 large onion into bite-sized pieces, and mince about half a head of garlic. If you are adding carrots, potatoes, celery or anything else, cut them into bite-size pieces, too.

Toss everything (meat, onions etc.) into the instant pot, then add the seasoning packet (if there is one), half a stick of butter, a LITTLE salt (more, if there is no seasoning packet) and a good amount of pepper. Add a pinch or two of oregano, marjoram and thyme (or whatever herbs you like), and a couple of bay leaves. Toss the ham bone in IF IT WILL FIT, then add enough chicken stock or water to reach the fill line. Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes, then let the pressure fall naturally again for 10 minutes. Leave it on Keep Warm until ready to serve.

Other notes - My personal feeling is that my cooking time might be a little longer than necessary in the "second stage," but it works, so I am reluctant to change anything, at this point.

This recipe/method is of course quite versatile; so if you try it, please feel free to play with the ingredients etc.

Enjoy!

Ron

Last edited:
Its funny, as a kid i HATED ham and beans. Now i make it all kinds of ways and fell in love with South American variations of them. Even started adding minimal amounts of veggies to it like carrots, celery and kale.

Checkout the recipes from Brazil (feijoada) its a black bean stew with pork. Another good one is Peruano beans aka canary beans. They work great for classic ham and beans. Most of the Spanish influenced bean soups/stews use sausage instead of ham but mixing it up works well. I dont use the blood sausage in mine.

Pork belly works extremely well for this too if you can get it really meaty. 10min blanch in boiling water then a quick fry until crispy before adding it to your beans. Use just enough ham and/or sausage to season the beans. The pork ends up being the main meat source in the dish.

Pops is on a severely sodium restricted diet so ive learned to adapt things. Less ham but more meat overall. He likes his with my homemade spicy seasoned vinegars.

Latest posts

Back